What are my options for treating hypertension young

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 25 year old guy and morbidly obese with a BMI over 40 for years now. Several months ago I read my blood pressure at 140/90 and it's been steadily increasing since then and now it's reading around 170/100. I also did gain about 10 or 15 pounds over that span too. My parents also both have high blood pressure by the way, but I figured that wasn't something to be concerned with until older. I haven't been to the doctor in years now though, should I be seeing someone for this and if so where do I go, like an urgent care? I just don't know what to expect and if this is high enough that I need medication now. I understand my diet and lifestyle is contributing, I generally eat fast food and soda each day, few dozen beers with friends each weekend, smoke and vape regularly, and don't workout at all. I don't know that I will be able to give any of those up for now, or at least wait until my 30's to cut back.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You can look forward to an increasingly uncomfortable life, Type 2 diabetes if you don't already have it, kidney problems, heart problems, leg ulcers, bed sores, osteo-arthritis, breathing problems and asthma, sleep apnoea, gall stones, gout, colo-rectal cancer, hardened arteries are all waiting for you.

You know the problem, and you know what to do about it. Eat less, move more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.