what are my options to keep endometriosis under control without hormones?

Posted , 2 users are following.

this is going to be long so im sorry in advance, by the way im in the states in case that relevant ...I've been trying to do my research but figured I could ask here to see what other ladies that have gone through similar issues say, heres the deal:

almost 4 months ago I had surgery to get one of my ovaries and tube out to resolve the bad pain that we thought a cyst was causing to then find out that in reality my pain was coming from the severe endometriosis I had ...my dr removed as much as she could of it and my life has been so much better after.

to prevent the end from coming I was first put on birth control pills but these as expected (from previous events) made me throw up every day and my GERD was out of control but like I said it wasn't a surprise since my dr already knew my stomach doesn't do good with hormones, the next thing we tried was the Milena IUD which was inserted 6 weeks ago and heres where the problem comes: 3 weeks after getting it inserted I started losing hair in huge quantities, I know some shedding is normal and I've dealt with some in the past so I know whats happening now is not norma.

I already had blood work done and saw a dermatologist, he didn't see anything abnormal on my scalp to be causing the hair loss but agreed with me on the fact that im shedding more than normal and today my doctors office called to say blood work is fine including my thyroid so we think that it Is the Mirena causing this ....I have an Appt with my gynecologist in 2 days for the Mirena 6 week check up and im planning to bring this up but I wanted to see if there are other options without the horrible side effects, Ive always known that my body reacts bad to hormones one way or the other and I just f eel stuck in a bad situation ...im so scared of removing the Mirena and having the endo come back but on the other hand I don't want to keep losing my hair, I know it sounds vain but this is already taking a toll on the way I feel about myself.

thank you in advance for reading this long post and for any help you girls can give me.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diana

Many women here are from the States, including me.

• Posted

Sorry, accidentally hit send too early.

I can't speak to the Mirena as it was invented after i had a total hysterectomy. Some of the women in the forum swear by dietary changes. Can't hurt to try. Someone will pop up soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.