What are reasons outside of diet for low iron? (Ferritin is 3)

Posted , 3 users are following.

What tests can I ask my doctor that would find the source of my low iron?  

How did you find the source of your low iron?

Hemoglobin 11.2

Iron 3

TIBC 85

Transferring Saturation 0.04

Going in for 5 infusions every other day beginning in 2 weeks.

Long story short, my copper IUD was removed about a year ago and my heavy cycle is no longer heavy, yet my iron is continually dropping. My hysterectomy is cancelled as my cycles are MUCH shorter and lighter. 

I also choose not to ingest gluten and dairy as my body functions better without it. I enjoy salads and steaks on the regular.

What tests/diagnosis did you find that helped diagnosed you? I want to know what I could be in for and also suggest something to the doc that we wouldn’t have thought about.

My symptoms are:

Dizziness

Fatigue

Foggy headed

Memory Loss

Weight loss 

Lack of appetite

Depression

Anxiety

Chills

Vision disturbances (1x/month)

Constipation

Thank you kindly for your insights!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

they need to check you haven’t any ulcers so a endoscopy.

then to check you haven’t got any tumours in your bowel a colonoscopy 

then full bloods to check for any abnormalities in liver function 

etc 

hope that helps 

• Posted

Hi, if your ferritin iron level is 3 that is seriously low, looks like you need an Iron supplement, and to find out what going on, a good supplement I took was bisglycinate iron which I took with vitamin C drink.
    • Posted

Thank you Martin31040! Yes, I've been taking FeraMax 150mg daily, however, since finding out about my iron count, the doctor has me taking the same brand twice a day every other day. I will add Vitamin C to help.

Also, another symptom I've had is nausea without vomiting, and itchiness in random areas without rashes.

• Posted

Hi ShaunaAH, do you get any stomach and digestive issues with the iron?, iron supplement is known to be problematic, I was given ferrous fumarate which played havoc with stomach etc, so I switched to Bisglycinate iron and had no problems it a lot milder on your stomach.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.