What are signs that PR is going away?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all! I've been diagnosed with PR last March 27 (3 days ago) but I've fallen sick 3 weeks ago with the herald patch coming out at that time as well. The coverage is from the top of my neck (some spots on my face and scalp) to the back of my right thigh (where the herald patch is). It is still quite itchy at times but it seemingly stopped spreading. It is not as red as it was; it is now a mix of dark and light brown spots. The herald patch seems to be decreasing in size as well. I know everybody who has it wants to get rid of it ASAP. I would like to know roughly how long until it does at this point? I've been putting Sorbolene lotion with 10% Glycerine and taking some antihistamines. Thank you for your inputs!  

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi dear

Everybodys body is different, the fact that the rashes are turning brown means that ur PR is coming to an end soon, when? cant say exactly but i was diagnosed in December 2015 and my rashes started drying up turning brown then back to my normal skin tone in February. Some of the scars are still there but they look like dry skin (whitish and dry) however, i havent seen any popping up since.

For me i'd say 4 months

• Posted

Hi Karena,

Thank you for your reply. 4 months is long but I will stay positive! Counting down the days :-) 

What treatment worked best for you? Thanks!

• Posted

Mine took about 4/5 months to get rid. By that time I was on corticosteroid cream twice a day (dollops of it ) and on oral steroids (10 mgs a day for other health issues).

​My skin is now left with dark brown patches..even the hearld patches are clearly visible. As mine was never itchy i wasnt on antihistamines.

​It does go eventually  so hang on in there 

• Posted

Thank you so much for the tip and kind words! I am staying positive!
  • Posted

The dermatologist gave me oral steroids and also steroids lotion. I didnt feel comfortable taking oral steroids so i only used the steroids lotion which helped sooooooo much with the itching! and also helped dry some of the rashes up.

I also used oatmeal soap and soak body in oatmeal baths, it helps with the itching as well. 

• Posted

Good day to you....My 3 year old son has this horrible condition and was diagnosed on the 6th of March and is in week 5 as he was misdiagnosed 3 times... I have stayed away from steriods using a more natural method and it is working I did give him antihistamines in the begining but they didnt work so well...I washed him in aloe vera and oiled his skin with shea butter as soon as he became dry as that made the itching worse avoid getting to hot and most of all try not to get stressed as that makes it worse too...Every one is different and you will find lots of advice on here...some people swear by head and shoulders shampoo used as a body wash and using the sun bed for a few minutes...But as my boy is only 3  i had to find a gentle method.... I dont think steriods are a good idea as they can lead to other problems with long term use and as you can never tell how long you will have the condition....Good luck I hope all goes well for you and it passes by quickly.....
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your tips! I hope your son gets better soon!
  • Posted

Once mine started to get itchy (dry up) it took probably 2 weeks to go away, but I had them flare up and every flare up took about 2 weeks to get better.  I had it for 5 months. Getting rid of stress, tanning, and lotions helped me!  I pray for the best and shortest recovery for you!

• Posted

Glad to know that its over for you! Thanks tracy! Tanning seems like a treatment I will try.
  • Posted

Sounds like it's going. Mine faded and then stopped being flaky looking. Then over the space of a week. They faded rapidly one by one. My herald patch was the last to go. It's now all gone. 7 weeks in total. It was from the neck to my thighs. Everywhere xxx
    • Posted

That's awesome that its gone! Thanks for sharing! 7 weeks sound so long but glad that its over for you
    • Posted

It does seem long but as long as the itching is under control its ok as it's not yet summer so you can cover up. Good luck. It's ones of those horrible things you get x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.