What are the best painkillers for osteoarthritis?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi i have pain in a lot of my joints tail bone, hips ,knees happy days!

​I was diagnosed early this year after a lot of years suffering. I am taking co-codamol 500mg but not really helping me. I have recently taken up swimming

​and am trying to stick with it. I was fifty this year and feel like an old woman.

​Does anyone know any othe painkillers that are working better for them?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hazel I also suffer from the pain of osteo arthritis and had septic arthritis from aged 11. I am in my fifties and feel like can old woman. I am in pain every waking minute. My arthritiscis in my knees and bottom of spine. I have had my left knee replaced twice and my right knee is needing a partial replacement. I am going to try steroid injections for now. As for pain killers stay away from opiates. I take Gaberpentin for nerve pain and

Nefopan and codeine at night to help with sleep. There are lots if pain killers to try. Go back to your Gp and ask for something else to try. Are you under a consultant.

Elizabeth

• Posted

It varies by person, my wife had problems with co-codamol, I had problems with Tramadol.

Might be worth looking in the information pages for the various painkillers?

Graham

• Posted

Hello hazel. I have osteoarthritis and take codeine on it's own with a separate prescription for Paracetamol if I need it. I can't tolerate anti inflammatory drugs which are supposed to be the ideal so my GP has prescribed Nefopam (also known as Acupan). It works differently to other pain medication and it's safe to take alongside any other medication as well. I find it helps my pain. It's routinely given to women in labour and to post operative patients so it must be good. It's not an opiate either so there's not supposed to be any risk of addiction.
    • Posted

Thank you so much going to make an appointment with the doctor and talk to her about it.
  • Posted

Hi Hazel OA is a very painful disease and it's very hard to know what to take that doesn't cause bad side effects. Last year I had a baby and my God the pain in my entire body due to the pregnancy hormones and having OA was excruciating. Now I have on and off pain in my hips and I know I'll never be able to have another baby. People say I'm too young to have OA but it runs in my mothers side unfortunately. I couldn't believe the pain so soon even though my fingers in both hands show signs of OA since I was 30. I'm 40 now and some days I can't walk due to pain. I want to find out about what could help I know swimming is good. My mom always said that's doctor recommend. She has had hip, knee , toes replaced. I pray to god they find a cure and help us all x
    • Posted

Thanks so much it is good to speak to people who understand what the pain is like. I was lucky had my three children before things started getting worse. I work part time as a nursery cook and love my job. The winter is really bad in the mornings when you get up.

When im up and about and taken my tablets i am fine aftre an hour or so. Hazel

• Posted

Hi Hazel - I too have OA and find swimming really helps. Good to do hot and cold treatment too to ease the inflamation. Have you tried natural remedies like very high dose fish oil, glucosamine and tumeric? You need to stick with these for a while (no overnigth cures) but many people report feeling better after 4-6 weeks without the side effects of drugs. Also consider an anti-inflamatory diet with lots of fish, veggies and no sugar, gluten or too much red meat. There is tons of info. about this approuch on the web.
    • Posted

This forum is the best thing i have done since finding out about OA. thanks so much i will have a look online x
    • Posted

If you ever get to have a hip replacement, do go to the Hip Replacement forum on this website, it is SO supportive - I am 5 weeks post hip replacement now and I would have been lost without it.

Graham

• Posted

hello, I've recently been diagnosed with OA in my hips and lower spine. I've done pilates for 20yrs which seems to help a little. Reading your experiences, especially in some so young, well, i really feel for you. the discomfort in my coccyx area is affecting my job and today i realised it's not going to go away and that I'll need stronger painkillers to continue. it scares me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.