What are the best probiotics?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Firstly I'd like to say thank goodness I've found this forum, it's brilliant! I was diagnosed with DVD six months ago & although I have a very supportive partner he will never fully understand how debilitating this horrible disease is & what a lonely place it can be sometimes, it's reassuring to know I'm not alone.

Since my my diagnosis I have completely changed my diet & things had been ok'ish. But two weeks ago I had a flare up which has improved slightly with antibiotics, but I'm still not quite there. I've been reading about the VSL3 probiotics but they are so expensive & I just wondered if anyone has found a cheaper alternative?

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've been having the same issue.  not fully getting over the infection.  Do you think we might not be on them for long enough????
    • Posted

I'm not sure Sunni? my doctor told me that it doesn't always clear up after the first lot of antibiotics but it's anyone's guess really isn't it. Who knows what's going on inside our bowels, the doctors don't seem to have that much idea do they? I felt almost back to normal (whatever that is) for a week & now this, I just feel like I'm never going to feel normal again, it's very upsetting ....
  • Posted

I actually went on the H&B website to look at the acidophilis capsules but they don't ship to Canada.  Going to try to find a supplier over here.
  • Posted

You might be interested in our formulas from biome Probiotics. Be the first to hear about our product launches and even get a discount on your first order here:

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

I might be a little late in the game with this but have you tried Florajen Probiotics? It's made such a huge difference for me and I even have my kids taking the children's version. One tablet has as 10 times the amount of live probiotic culture than a cup of yogurt. It's nuts. Either way I hope you're feeling better Sheree!!

• Posted

This is an old thread, but if it is read new information may also benefit folks. Both pro and prebiotics can help bowel issues, but a very beneficial supplement can aid gut repair without toxic ramifications as is often the case with prescription medicines. SLIPPERY ELM BARK which is available in health food stores in caplet form creates a mucus in the gut, which adds to the bodys own mucosal barrier which has often been damaged in IBS and Diverticular illnesses. Using the SE will reduce pain and episodes just like the antispasmodic drugs, but without damaging the liver. The only real issue is not to take it just prior to taking medicines as it will reduce the drugs ability to be absorbed. Look it up on the www it really is beneficial. I would go as far as saying it saved my Wifes life, as she was so debilitated by going to the toilet up to 10 times a night she was fading fast from dehydration an poor food absorbtion. SLIPPERY ELM turned her life around.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.