What are the best things to do during breakouts? should we just wait fot it to just end on its own?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello great fighters of HS,

I'm just asking about the best advices and stuff to do during breakouts

my girlfriend is on stage 2, she is 19 and has been suffering from HS since she was 10 , she didn't have any breakouts during the last year , two days ago she told me she had a breakout and its on a place where she had a breakout before, when I asked her what should we do to at this situation to relief the breakout, she told be we do nothing we just wait and it will just go away after a time like 3 weeks or a month! , I'm sure there is a thing to do and I just want to make sure to help her and make her feel comfort as much as I can , so please help me with the information you have to deal with breakouts

Thanks alot , God bless you strong beautiful people, keep on fighting.

"Excuse my bad english I'm not a native english speaker"

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Dear black.jack, she is right! Please leave it alone! DO not squeeze it or unless it gets too painful-do not have it lanced/cut open because all of those things gives HS a chance to further tunnel into the skin making it worse and possibly inviting bacteria in!!!

I have heard that tea tree oil, tumeric, silver, or if you have Head & Shoulders shampoo might help. I understand tea tree oil is very drying, tumeric is supposedly anti-inflammatory, H&S  I have herd helps in the short run. 

I am not a Dr. just going by what I have heard. Those have not worked for me but have for others. 

It is sooooo great that she was able to go a year without a flare!!! She must be really good at keeping her trigger at bay or very lucky biggrin))))))

Wishing you two the best!!!

• Posted

Thanks alot for the information, we are goning to give the tumeric treatment a try I hope it could help her smile

I'm wishing you the best and I hope you could find something that works for you , give that paleo diet thing a try if you didn't yet , alot of people who have HS talks about how it did help them , I wish we could try that diet too but unfortunately we can't do it know due to some issues smile

Pray for us , gonna pray for you too.

• Posted

Hi you sound like a lovely man to care so much for your gf.  As a long term sufferer or HS this is what she needs to do.

1.  When a breakout occurs and becomes infected she needs to go straight to the doctors and get antbiotics.  These should kick in in a couple of days so it will end much sooner.  The longer a flare up lasts the more damage is being done to the skin.  Any infection must be dealt with asap also to avoid the possibilty of blood poisening.

2.  If she gets recurrant outbreaks in the same area the only way to avoid those is to get them incised by a surgeon.   I did this on 2 areas and it has never come back there.

3.  Never squeeze them as apart  from the pain, tj268 is dead right,  and it will cause further damage to the lower levels of the skin and make the problem worse.  It  can also cause infection to spread to other areas and can result in multiple lesions.

4.  If she gets a lot of flare ups then she can ask the doctor to be put on a maintainance dose of ab's ie a long term course.

5.  Some people swear by cutting out nightshade foods ie potatoes and tomatos etc.  but it doesn't work for many.

6.  If she gets an especially nasty big one which is very infected it is important to .see a doctor as it might need lancing or incised under general anaesthetic.  Fortunately I have only had one like that - a monster and the doctor sent me straight to the hospital.  I was in for 3 days with it. 

7.  Try and keep both of you upbeat and not to let HS rule your lives!  Take care.  Bev x

• Posted

Dear hypercat, I just wanted to say hello since I see you here so often. You are full of great advice. I am stage 3 and in need of surgeries. So nice to hear your advice. As with this disease what works for some doesn't alays work for others as you know.smile What AB's are you on? I havebeen on so many and none really work (for me), Would love to hear about yourssmile
    • Posted

Hi when I have break outs I find doxyclycline very good.  Erythromycin doesn't touch them not does textracylcline and I am allergic to penicillan.   It's trial and error to find one that works best for you.  

Thank you very much for your words tj268 - much appreciated.   I am stage 2 but a friend of mine is stage 3 and I have gathered a lot of info from her as well.   She had surgery and it did help.  Now she is on a strong ab maintainance dose and has been virtually clear for the last few years.  She is going to stop taking them to see if it comes back.  It might not. 

I get a lot of mine on my inner thighs and find sometimes that putting a dry dressing on ie mepore will help it stop rubbing.  Put in on losely though to allow for expansion!   And if it is oozing will help the infection go down as well.

Glad you found the info helpful black.jack.  Take care.  Bev x  

• Posted

I found remission from stage 3 after cutting nightshades, nuts and coconut. HS is an autoimmune diseases. Look up "food sensitivities and Autoimmune diseases" on the Internet and read about it. I am living proof after trying every other idea for this disease. Good luck! May God help your girlfriend!
    • Posted

I am glad you found your remission and I hope you can always find it

could you please tell me what was the system of food you did follow that worked for you or just send me a link of the diet you are doing?

• Posted

I'm not doing a diet. Just staying away from my triggers. You can do an elimination diet to find your trigger foods. As you add food groups in and have symptoms, you'll know to stay away from those foods.
    • Posted

Good luck! Once you find your trigger foods that you are sensitive to, you have to be very strict. Even eating a little bit can bring on symptoms. After being in remission for over a year, I ate some sausage which has nightshade spices in it.... I had the most horrible next two weeks of cysts, pain and mouth ulcers after eating the sausage. It's not worth cheating or eating a small amount!
    • Posted

Hello Crystal , I hope you are having a good day

I just want to let you know that we are starting the Elimination diet tomorrow, I hope it could really help =)

I just want to ask you what exactly should we eat in the first month, I mean what were you eating during the first month of the elimination diet, please let me know, Thank you so much for the information.

• Posted

I didn't do the elimination diet. I just cut nightshades out first to see if that was my trigger and it worked! Later, I found out coconut was a trigger because I got cysts after being in remission and eating coconut. I've always known nuts caused me problems because they give me mouth ulcers. When I read about nightshades being bad for autoimmune diseases and they suggested the elimination diet by starting out eating chicken, lettuce, oil and vinegar. I'm sure if you Google it you can find different ways to start out. I just took a shortcut and luckily, it worked! Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi crystal do you have a list of the night shades. I've just stopped eating peppers to mottos and eggplant

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.