What are the chances of a 19 year old getting Colon Cancer?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm worried that I might have cancer because i past few weeks I've been having Diarrhoea and Gas.

Sometimes my stool is solid but it has no shape.Its always mushy .

Should I be worried?

Because my dad had polyps before

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No harm in asking. I'm an anxious person and the relief after the two surveillence colonoscopies I've had was enormous when told they were ok. But I'm 72 with major bowel surgery behind me. I doubt if you need to be worried though at your age. Have you had a CEA blood test or any other type of examination yet? Maybe ask about those too. Don't worry! You're still very young. 

• Posted

Hazwan I'm not a doctor but if you aren't losing weight for no reason and not having pain I think you are ok but I agree on going to the doctor and at least some blood work

• Posted

Same. Ive been having health anxiety about bowel cancer too! It puts my mind that ease a bit that everyone thinks it's very very highly unlikely. I'm 13 so thats pretty young. I don't think I have anyone in my family who has colon cancer. However, I do have IBS patients in my family. I'm settling on IBS right now. I don't have alarming symptoms that I'm aware off like blood in stool or unexplained weight loss or some others. IBS can cause weight loss/gain too so if you actually lost some weight , don't panic. I panicked when I woke up a few days ago because lost 2 pounds. I gained it back though. If the weight loss is significant then it might be a red flag symptom but not always. Blood is what you should look for most. But don't excessively worry about that too much eitherbecause it can give you more anxiety which can affect your digestive system even more. I have bad anxiety which is why IBS iso something I consider. Relax a little. You maybe start seeing some changes and probably change your diet. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.