What are the chances of HIV exposure

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok. So I have just been retested, as I went to the clinic for my implant removal and they did a full std screening.   Basically I had unprotected vaginal sex with a friend I’ve known for 5 years whilst visiting him in America. He told me he was clean. And I have no reason to not believe him.  As he said he gave blood recently.   I was tested about 19 days after the first day of sex. We pretty much had sex 5 days straight.  He pulled out every time and ejactulated elsewhere. My only concern is precum, he was adamant nothing went in.   Is there a possibility to have contracted the virus?? Was the test too soon to tell? It came back negative, but everything I’ve read is saying it can take 4 weeks for a true result??  I have been retested and am awaiting the results.   I’m quite a sickly person anyway,  so often have colds. And have eczema. So I’m thinking it’s just pure coincidence.   I wasn’t anxious about it until I googled. 🤦??? Yes I know. Don’t google.  But it was just out of curiosity, not because I initially thought I was at risk.  Any thoughts? Is there a possibility?   I must admit I usually always insist on condoms, but got caught up in the moment and didn’t think. And trust him. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well if you trust him you should be fine.  But you do know that sometime there is pre cum. and that you can still get pregnant.  Let's hope not.  Next time be careful and have him cover up  Ken

• Posted

I know. That’s what I was concerned about. I’m defo not pregnant as have been tested twice.  I wasn’t worried about it until I saw it can take up to 4 weeks after potential exposure. I was tested at around 19 days.  And trust me , I won’t be making this mistake again. Unless I have concrete evidence that they’re clean.  But I honestly do trust him when he said he was clean.  I just have a nagging doubt, maybe he is and he doesn’t even know?  🤦???.  Honestly having sex in this day and age is such a minefield. 

• Posted

Hi, 18 days Also sometime enough. But offcourse 4 week and 90 days are important too. 

Symptoms don’t seem like that but symptoms are not always true or false. 

You will be fine. 

• Posted

Ok so I spoke to my clinic, and they said they do the combined test- for antigen and antibodies.  And spoke to Terrence Higgins trust. Who said that the antigen is detectable from 10-14 days, and would’ve likely to have been detected at my first test- which was negative..  meaning I should be fine. My first potential exposure being 19 days, My second retest was on Friday, so hopefully I’ll have the conclusive result in 7-10 days. But can stop freaking out in the meantime.  Altho kinda irrational to be freaking out since what’s been done can’t be undone 🤦???. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.