What are the chances of never having to deal with hyperthyroid again, after medicinal treatment ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My doctor says my Graves' disease  is considered mild to moderate and is allowing me to make my decision on the 3 ways to get treated. She said I should discuss with my husband as I am 37 and was just about to try to conceive before I was diagnosed. Time is of essence given my age. Does anyone know what percentage of people successfully get treated with methimizole ? What are the changes of never having to deal with hyperthyroidism after medicinal treatment ? Is Graves' disease something that I will most likely always struggle with ? I'm wondering if it is just easier to surgically remove the thryriod and be done with the future ups and downs. My symptoms include low energy , fast heart rate , forgetful and blurred vision. Last lab results I had zero TSH . I'm still trying to learn what all the lab results mean .

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was a medical transcriptionist when I was diagnosed and i was determined I would keep my thyroid.  My sister-in-law had the radiation and she said while she needs the thyroid hormone replacement, she never felt normal again.  I was started on Methimazole and while it immediately normalized the amount of thyroid hormone in my body, it did not improve my TSH result.  The TSH (thryoid stimulating hormone) receptor that determines how much thyroid hormone your body will put out is affected by the antibodies produced in Graves disease, and in my case after I started the meds, my TSH remained at less than 0.001 for two years until I did some research and started adding supplements to my medication treatment.  Most doctors do not know this and as a result, a lot of patients on meds do not fully recover and their doctors then push them to have one of the other two treatments.  So when you are running hyperthyroid, you are losing a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids from your body.  The first research article I read was about the value of adding an amino acid called L-Carnitine, 3,000 to 4,000 mg to your meds treatment.  I got tested first for Total Carnitine and Free Carntiine and found out I was deficient in these as are most hyperthyroid patients.  When I took this, my TSH rose to about 0.12 (still had a ways to go but at least it was going in the right direction)  I also was tested for and found deficient in vitamin D (very very important for proper thyroid functioning) and Magnesium so added these two supplements.  I would like to have a full battery of tests from a Naturopath for all vitamins, minerals etc but this costs about $300.00.  I experimented with different types of carnitines and tried Acetyl-L-Carnitine and taken at the same time as my Methimazole, it drove my TSH right up well into the normal range.  However, I caution anyone who tries this that it is extremely sensitive, works very quickly and you need more frequent testing and adjustments to meds or supplements or both in order not to go hypothryoid.  There are also other natural methods of treating Graves disease and you can do research on this.  I would always recommend patients do their research on their disease and you have taken a good first step by posting to a Board like this.  I will email you privately with more information on this.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for all the helpful information , I felt so alone before joining this discussion .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.