What are the real side affects of oral steroid medications

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I potentially have oral and genital lichen planus. My genital lp has been treated with dermovate cream for 4 weeks and it has now subsided.

My oral lp is a very different story. I have had no treatment for my mouth (6 mths) which up until now has not stopped me from doing too much. Since my biopsy 10 days ago, I have had several quite large ulcers in my mouth, size of a 5p, which have been very painful. I cannot eat, drink, talk or sleep without pain. I should be going to Munich for a relatives birthday, but dont feel well enough to go.

I have an appt. with the consultant on Tuesday , he will have the results of my biopsy, and I think he may prescribe a steroid medication.

The side affects of steroids look horrendous, mood swings, increased appetite, water retention, and moon face to name a few. I was wondering what side affects people have experienced? What medications have been really successful? What dosage were you prescribed?

In addition, has anybody treated their oral lp with natural remedies? I have been recommended to go and see a Chinese medicine practitioner. Has anybody had any success with Chinese medicine?

Dont like what Ive got but more scared of committing to medicine that i cant easily stop taking.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

I did not have OLP, but I did have plain LP on the skin and ended up curing it with the help of natural medicine. Because of this, I have done considerable reading on the subject and have spotted Calendula Officinalis as one of the best well known natural healing flowers of the mucosa, in traditional medicine.

I suggest you do your own thorough reading

on the subject and then decide if you want to try it. A good starting point would be to google up "Calendula Tincture and gums (or gum disease)". There are many articles, even in scientific journals, on the subject. You can buy Calendula Tincture in specialized health food stores, or better... learn to grow your own flowers and make your own tincture (it's easy, fun, and all the info is on the web).

I have also found out that Ozonated Water or oil can be helpful for gum disease and I've read about people buying ozone generators to make their own healing products.

I agree with you that conventional treatments carry significant risks of side-effects so you are wise to seek potentially safer means of healing. I will also add that healing through other means requires patience and determination (don't expect instantaneous relief, although it can be achieved for some). What you can learn to do on your own is often the best!

Cheers,

Greg.

• Posted

i have OLP. I Take doxycycline 20mg morning and night. This is the main thing that keeps mine under control. I have a steroid gel to put on it if it flares. There's a non alcohol mouthwash from the dentist that kills more germs than off shelf ones. you can swish aloe vera to sooth lesions.also important is to give up eating nightshade foods. it takes 3 months to see the full results from not eating these. now, when i eat one my mouth lets me know. Sometimes i do eat a tomato slice, and i can tell so i just don't do that again until i crave so badly. i can do without them to not have that pain or possibly cancer. just got a clean endoscopy! yay. Good luck to you. I'm so sorry you're missing out on events. Dermatologist is doc to see for this, at least in US.

I know how miserable you are, it's awful.

• Posted

Cheryl, you may have to have one dose ioff steroid to get you under control. this is serious. after that you might try suggestions i gave in another msg. all recommendations from my doctor, things that are working for me. good luck.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

I know exactly how you feel.

My OLP made me feel so ill and anxious.

I've never had anxiety before in my life and couldn't believe how it affected me.

Like you, even talking was painful and I ate only liquid foods for months.

However, due to various DR & Hospital mix-ups I ended up taking absolutely nothing.

But I've heard both good & bad outcomes for medical & home remedies. Some swear by taking a steroidal mouthwash. As you don't swallow it - only swish around the mouth - I don't think it has the drastic side-effects you worry about.

Whilst I cannot offer advice about medicines, what I can do is offer you empathy and encouragement.

I would say my mouth and tongue are now a lot better. I still only eat soft foods and wouldn't dare tackle anything like nuts; crisps; steaks etc., But you do get used to the

dietry restrictions. The anxiety will fade and you will be able to get on with your life.

I hope you're treatments are successful and wish you all the best for a good recovery.

Kindest wishes,

Anne.

• Posted

thank you all so much for your replies. it really is helpful to listen to other peoples trials, and successes .

thank you.

• Posted

AM TAKING BETAMETHAZONE-- only rinse mouth out for 5-10 mins-- do not swallow and you dont get too many side affects-- fairly effective with any pain but does not seem to solve taste problem which i have-- gets pretty depressing sometimes as cannot go out for decent meal and enjoy it--

You are right with prednisolone -- if you take them and swallow then you feel pretty good on them but real problem when off with anxiety and depression-- still useless though with OLP

• Posted

do you take bethamethasone mouthwash every day and fir how many weeks please? i take 2 weeks on 2 weeks off but when off its much worse.

• Posted

HI

I TAKE BETAMETHAZONE 3 TIMES A DAY AFTER MEALS---FOR 3 MONTHS CONSTANT---THINK IT DOES A FAIR AMOUNT OF GOOD FOR THE PAIN BUT IS STILL NOT CURING MY TASTE ISSUE

CHEERS

RICHARD

• Posted

Ok thank you. I will see what the doctor says at my hospital appointment on Friday.

• Posted

hi everybody got the biopsy result, chronic acute oral lichenoid. think this means ive had an allergic reaction which has caused lichens.

my mouth went into trauma after biopsy resulting in many ulcers the size of 5ps. awful. good news its not pre cancerous. treatment betamethasone mouthwash 4 times a day for 4 weeks. mouthwash improved mouth 1st 3 days but improvement stopped mouth still v sore.

has anybody used betamethasone and had good outcome.?do the thick skin in cheeks and lichen disappear in time? consultant said will burn out 12-15yrs! 11 1/2 yrs to go!

got genital lichenoid ,using dermovate which is okish, but you know its hovering in background. will look at candular tincture for genitals.

• Posted

Wishing you all the best, Cheryl.

After my visit to Hosp. when evil doctor raked around my cheeks & tongue (very painful) have got very sore mouth now. Have been given some BETAMETHAZONE & pain killing mouthwash.

Just daren't use them right now! I need to have feeling in cheeks because as they're swollen too I would risk biting them when eating. If I can feel it happening I can stop myself from biting too hard & causing more damage.

Oh well. Keeping my mind on going on winter hols in a couple of week, so still staying positive.

Anne.

• Posted

i sure hope you het better soon this stuff is just bad mine itches all the time. plus i went to a new dermatologist and she sent me tovhave 3 blood test because i feel like i have sand on me. plus i have been using Calendula to see if it helps

• Posted

My sister had the itchy sort - but just in her mouth!

3 years. She used medication 3 times a day, every day.

Her ENT consultant finally did allergy tests (huh!) and said

Oh yes, you are allergic to certain metals. Finally she had her metal fillings replaced with porcelain ones and within a month...totally gone & never returned.

So I always wonder when ppl say they are itchy, if it's female, if its actually allergy based. If not teeth something they eat/drink regularly. Or even hormonal. Many women in menoupause complain about constant itching. A friend of mine said she felt like she had little spiders crawling around on her skin.

Either way, Brenda. Never harms to investigate all possibilities. I hope you

too soon start finding some relief.

Regards,

Anne.

• Posted

i also had all my metal fillings replaced and it helped the olp sores tremendously. it did not go totally away but it was a difference of being in pain constantly to dealing with occasional breakouts and some minor day to day stuff. Many doctors insist this is not true but i am proof that it is. We need to keep looking until we get doctors that aren't so ignorant of this condition.

• Posted

hi Anne, yes lots of evil doctors about.

winter holiday best type medication!

Brenda, im so glad ive not got the itching, must be awful. best of luck.

keep posting .....we need to talk.

cheryl

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.