What are the side effects of amlodipine?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Amlodipine can be used to lower blood pressure, but I don't know what side effects the drug has. I searched the information on the Internet, but I don't know. Who can explain it?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You should be able to find a list of side-effects, but like most drugs they list all sorts of things, and I'll say, if you read this forum you will also see that everything under the sun gets blamed on amlodipine, it has a higher incidence of side-effects than many other drugs.

For me it seemed to induce arrhythmias, and a feeling that the heart rhythm was just not responding to anything normally. I halted the drug. It takes a couple of weeks to clear completely from the system.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply. I found the information and said that there are 4 side effects. I want to see if there is any supplement in the forum.

• Posted

Hello,

The side effects differs per persoon. We are all different and react differently to medication. You will need to try it for a few weeks first, because that will be the only way to discover if this drug is good for you.

All medications come with side effects. If you are able to function despite these effects, go ahead and use it. If the effects are unbearable, you will have to discuss this with your doctor.

Good luck.

• Posted

It's not for my own use. It's a good friend of mine. I grew up with him.

• Posted

Victoria, that's the best advice you could have given.

Not only does each body respond differently to each drug, but there are interactions among drugs and even between drugs and OTC meds and vitamin supplements. I recently had to stop taking a chemo drug that "technically" had about 60 side effects both common and uncommon but almost none for my age group and qualifications. I managed to come up with a whole set of unique reactions. Lucky me! No clinical trial can possibly rule out every variable for every patient, so reporting new side effects to the FDA and the manufacturer is imperative. They get added to the "rare" or "unusual" list as warnings to future users and practitioners. On the other hand, I've been taking amlodipine for several years with no noticeable side effects at all. You just don't know until you try it and work closely with your practitioner and check such sites as the Mayo Clinic that is reputable and lists all of the side effects for pretty much every drug on the market.

• Posted

There can be many side effects. The most common is swollen ankles. I had severe and rare side effects that left me unable to work or do anything because of severe muscle cramping in my neck. I had severe nerve pain and tingling in my arms, hands and legs and joint pain all over. Once I went off the drug everything got better but it took 15 months to get back to 90-95%. So I'm much better now but not 100% yet. You can get a list of all possible side effects from the drug manufacturer.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I have bought a pill box with timed reminder function for my friend.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.