What are the side effects of methimazole that you noticed?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Not sure if everyone has the same side effects but all  i hear is weight gain.  My TSH is low and doctor is talking Graves D and I will be starting this med.  I remember awhile back being on this and gained weight and had itching on legs.  It worked but I was so so tired all the time

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

after my diagnosis of graves, I was placed on initially 30 mg of Tapazole. I had lost 60 pounds when I was little with the side effects of hyperthyroidism and it took them almost a year to diagnose the graves disease. I had had a heart attack and broken bones and hypercalcemia. However, once placed on Tapazole I have regained that weight plus some.   I then sought out another endocrinologist who took me off of Tapazole for two weeks in order to have thyroid scan and reuptake testing. I feel so much better since off that med. we will see what he does after two days of scan. Good luck to you, this is hell. Marianne
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply.  I do not look forward to this- I went through this about 13 yrs.  and remember how you felt.  I am surprised myself w/no uptake and right to meds.i don’t understand right to meds w/only my tsh outbof whack.   This is such a mind, body and soul journey that drains all senses
  • Posted

Hi 

I take it you had Graves’ disease first ...13 years ago ... then you went into remission ?

Mx🌹

• Posted

but returned recently so going back on meds Madge1979
  • Posted

I never had to be on a dose higher than 10 mg but I notice that most of the people who complain about side effects are on much higher dosages than that and often got hives.  However, I would get a welt across my forehead quite often but was able to manage this with Betamethasone scalp lotion on a cotton pad rubbed across the area.  As I was able to lower the dosage and add other supplements, I felt much better on it.  At 2.5 mg I had no side effects from it.   Had I not added the supplements, I would still have a TSH of essentially 0 today, as that was what happened to me for 2 years until I added the supplements.  I notice that people on the Board with Graves have this problem whereas people with other causes of their hyperthyroidism don't.

• Posted

Linda, when you say supplements do you mean from the health food store?
  • Posted

Yes, supplements from the health food store.  However, I took L-carnitine and because I wanted to take it in liquid form, I was able to get this one by doctor's prescription.  I also took Vitamin D and Magnesium and Acetyl-L-Carnitine.  

• Posted

I firmly believe Linda 10464 .. that if you manage to become Euthyroid .. you cannot just rely on all to remain in that condition ... not , that is , without some maintenance .

With Graves being associated with the Immune System 

I deduced that my Immune System was flatlining ...

ie ... empty or almost ...

I was at an extremely low ebb .. exhaustion was very evident .

I learned what to take to get my Immune System  re-booted !!

It worked .. slowly my Symptoms left me and I became  me again.

I have continued to take minerals vitamins and nutrients since then.

Tonight I had delicious avocado and prawns fried in garlic and olive oil  with granary bread .. that is my daily type of food as I don’t eat meat !

So with a good diet , hardly any alcohol and  good quality supplements  ... I feel bodily very well .

If I did not take these things daily I have a real feeling I would slide back to having another attack of Graves or thyrotoxicosis  .. and I’m NOT GOING THERE

AGAIN  !!

NOT if I can help it !

Consider that for  yourself too .

Linda 187 has great experience in Graves’ disease and Thyroid issues and her advice is highly regarded by many of us in need of help .

I wish you luck .. but luck may not be enough .. taking an active role in your own health is vital to try to overcome  this illness.

Particularly for  the long term

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

thanks Madge1979.  My diet has been poor for the last year.  I do do weight training and horseback ride 3 times a week but that wasn't enough. I have gained this round and on nothing.  My metabolism is stuck.  You can't eat what you want.   As far as supplements I am still not sure what to take and I don't drink 

• Posted

Hi Linda10464,

If I understand correctly, you have been in remission for ~10 years and now you have GD relapse. From what I read in this discussion, it seems Madge was right about your lost maintenance effort. I don't how long you have been back to your described very active (as to GD patient) lifestyle. Weight training and horseback riding being vigorous exercises plus back to the old-time diet could cause your autoimmunity flare up again, especially after such long time remission (I heard people would get relapse after only 3, 4 years). Consider your 10 years remission blessing, but don't forget what you did achieving that and try to make an even better longer one this time.

• Posted

Hi Mike, 

To be honest I am just learning how good nutrition plays a part.  I have always been active but not serious w/diet or good nutrition all the time.  I’m not horrible though. This round of GD is different because I can’t loose weight and seems I gained.  I’m not real overweight either but should be loosing something.  I’m starting a low dose of the thyroid drug beginning with an M at 5 mg.  I also have no idea what supplements to even ask for nor have I discussed w/Dr.  I have gotten a lot of new info here that has been helpful 

• Posted

Now read back to your previous post, I feel strange about your condition: "... I do weight training and horseback ride 3 times a week but that wasn't enough. I have gained this round and on nothing.  My metabolism is stuck.  You can't eat what you want..."

If your metabolism is low and stuck, you should feel idle or tired. How do you force self to get highly active? Low metabolism and weight gain are the symptoms of hypo... how did you get 5 mg MMI to begin with? Hyper symptom? Blood numbers?

I think if you are hyper with high metabolism rate, forcing into cardio and heavy exercise may cause an adverse effect on your condition?  Sorry, not sure your current exact condition and trouble.

• Posted

Hi Mike,  Below are my latest numbers.  My TSH is the number that seems to be my problem. I had posted asking what is 

subclinical hyperthyroidism with no reply maybe thinking this.  I feel pretty good. My sleep is so so but has been this way all my life.  I do work out with no problem.  When I was on meds 10 years ago I could barely get out of bed.  I have not loss weight this time with my hyper active state.  Last time I did and could tell I was not myself.  So not being a Dr but trying to figure this out I am dealing with a TSH number that isn't right since Sept/Oct of last year and my Dr wants me on a low does of meds to see if that will bring it up.  It is too low.  

TSH 0.21

Free T4 1.4

Free T3 322

Thee 

ANTI-TPO ANTIBODIES 

ANTI-THYROGLOBULIN AB 

TSI  

Were all good also. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.