What are ther effects of using Asacol (Masalazine)400 mg MR tablets on liver

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a male aged almost 26 years old,  I have been in remision with Ulcerative Colitis since I was aged 19, the medication I am on is Asacol (Masalazine)400 mg MR tablets which I take 6x daily.  

I have been in great health without problems since using thse tablets and now almost 7 years on I have now found out that they harm the liver and some people in rare cases have suffered liver damage.

I do not drink alchohol, smoke or take take drugs (only prescribed Mesalazine).

I had always thought that my liver may be in good condition however I have read that the liver function tests carried out Asacol users taking the same dosage as me found that the tablets have the same effect as what moderate drinking would have on the liver.

AST/ALT levels in the bloodstream are elevated when using these tablets.

The reason I don't drink alchohol is to not damage my liver yet these drugs could be doing the same damage as alchohol.

Is this true?

Does anybody ese not drink alchohol on this forum or do you know about the risks of Asacol on the liver.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi d123 Ihave been on 4 tablets a day now fer 4 weeks and also an enama every night. Do you also have enamas as well as taking the tablets.I didnt know you had to keep taking the tablets .Ithought it was all finished after a month on them. and i would be better. that is what the doctor told me. Babz.

• Posted

done my full month now . and it's come back worse than ever.Doctor said if I do this I will be back to normal .What a lie !!!! 

• Posted

I didn't have to do enamas/enaemas but yeah, the tablets are okay as long as you take them at some point during the day.  It can be a lot worse for other people with ulcerative coltis but now I forget I evenhave to take tablets for my condition.  I know how you feel, I can remember lying in hospitial worrying about what was happening when I first got UC, but I think they will get you well enough eventually.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.