what are these digestive enzymes?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,I have been reading a few posts and one or two people have mentioned taking digestive enzymes to help the condition after  op. Do the hospital give you these or do you buy them from somewhere ? Sorry to sound a bit dense just trying to get everything I can to get my husband better.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Belinda

All the hospital prescribed for me was Omeprazole. I think if anything else was needed they'd have prescribed it or at least mentioned it.

I've read a bit on line about various bile salts and flushes but I'd be too scared to try any in case they aggravated my condition.

• Posted

hi, digestive enzymes and bitters are recommended with a malfunctioning gallbladder as well as ox bile if still having issues. Ox bile and enzymes have made a huge difference for me before removal already. I also frequent many healthforums for natural healing and enzymes and ox bile have helped those with no gallbladder after years of suffering with digestive issues after the OP.
    • Posted

missed out malfunctiong or no gallbladder!

• Posted

I'm in UK, not been mentioned to me in 6 years. Like the HIDA ? scan? Do they even do that in UK?

• Posted

Hi Belinda. I had my gall bladder removed 8 weeks ago and so far so good. I was really. Not so happy few days after the surgery due to soreness aroun the navel area and so worried something happened during the procedure. I went back to my dr and had to tell him about it. Also, I had bouts of loose or LBM and uncontrollable that made me think if I made the right decision to have the gall bladder removed. my surgeon advised my to take kefir yogurt with probiotic and Metamucil to help me and to ease my problem. I asked him if I could take digestive enzymes and he said no because I don't need anymore bile and it is only good if I have pancreatic problem. After two weeks of taking the yogurt my body adjusted and my system is back to normal, although now I am a bit constipated. I stopped my yogurt by I drink more fluids and eat more salads and fruits. Actually I eat anything now but of course everything in moderation. I still get mild indigestions depending what food I take but rare.

• Posted

Hi Belinda,

Best to wait to see how your husband's digestion normalizes. He needs to eat small low fat meals frequently.  Don't start giving him things such as ox bile or enzymes as he may not need them and it could make his condition worsen. Don't do too much too soon, because his body needs to recover from the surgery.  Chances are, he may not need anything.     

Each individual's digestive process is slightly different, so not everyone needs that sort of assistance.  There is a diet on line called the fodmap diet that can help. Also, if he can tolerate dairy and gluten he could still try them. The protein and calcium found in dairy are important in the diet.  I don't have a gallbladder and I'm fine with no lactose dairy and gluten.

Best of luck to you both!  

• Posted

Digestive enzymes are harmless. I took them before my surgery to help with my acid reflux/indigestion and they worked wonders. I started taking them again a few days after my surgery and I've generally felt great with no eating restrictions. They're supplements, so you won't get them on any prescription. Go to your local health store or pharmacy and ask for something that has lipase.

Ox bile can do wonders for people without a gallbladder but it's pretty potent and task acting (taking too much can give you diarrhea so start slowly if you decide). I'd say see how you go without it first but definitely don't be afraid to order some and have it on hand. I'd start taking it anytime you eat anything mildly fatty, especially if you feel symptoms after eating.

You can also help with digestion by simply eating the right foods at the right time. Bitter foods or teas work great for stimulating bile and liver function. Beetroot, dandelion, saurkraut, or kefit yoghurt are your friends before meals or alsongisde them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.