What are your lymph node issues like?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm on month 12 of Mono. I relapsed (again) in May. During that time and since then, I've had more lymph node pain/discomfort than another time during the past 12 months. It feels like my throat/neck is always "tight" and the back of my neck and base of my skull has especially been bothering me lately. It's just a constant ache and feels stiff.

My inguinal/pelvis area lymph nodes are quite visibly swollen and ache all the time. Just having clothing rub against them is irritating. When I work in the kitchen, I can't lean against the counter or I immediately feel nauseated from the slight increase of pressure.

I saw the doctor yesterday and I'm scheduled for a CT scan so we can rule out things worse than Mono. I'm convinced this has to be Mono related, but, of course, I'm still worrying about it. I was hoping I would get some responses about what the rest of you are experiencing regarding your lymph nodes and if you've experienced anything similar to me.

Thank you,

Kristin

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I’ve not had that symptom as I’m older and they say that it’s different than younger people getting it . 

But I’ve read lots and that is a very common symptom try not to worry too much as I’m sure it’s all related to this horrific virus . 

Do the tests and then at least it will put your mind at ease. 

• Posted

Hi Kristin,

That must be awful the bother you're having with your lymph nodes. When I had the virus I had various pains which I'm sure were caused by lymph nodes, most notably a reactive gland in my neck which was one of the last symptoms to leave. I also had bother in my mid chest, armpits and groin too at various times though. Absolutely it sounds like it is caused by the mono but doing the right thing just getting it checked out, I had an ultrasound on my neck gland during the virus and they said it was simply a reactive gland as a result of mono.

Hoping things settle down soon and remember it does go away with time!

Craig

• Posted

i am so sorry for your pain and worries I got diagnosed with mono in mod august and it has been awful, but I have still been functional and working. my neck has had similar symptoms like yours. my neck felt so stiff and sore I can barely stand it. i ended up getting a Ct of my neck because of all my pain and it came back normal. my neck finally feels a bit better but I AM trying to keep my hands off it and and I think that helps . my breasts started feeling funny, tingly and pain in one really bad. Also pain under my armpits. I got a mammo and results came back negative but I have dense breast tissue but I TRULY feel and pray that all the pain in armpits and breast is from mono. I am like you and just want someone to have similar experiences so I can ease my mind and have confidence that in time I will get better

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Yes, my CT came back fine. Although I felt everything was mostly the Mono, I guess I was worrying more about it being something else than I realized because I was more relieved than I expected when I heard there was nothing else going on.

Hang in there and I hope this clears up for you sooner rather than later!

• Posted

It's only normal and natural for your mind to wonder and worry with these symptoms Kris. I've learned through my own experience and certainly reminded through reading others here that this awful virus is so intense and draining that it really makes you question whether it is just that or if something else is going on - when in the vast vast majority of cases, it is the mono causing all the havoc. Hoping you are okay Kris and feeling more settled at the moment.

• Posted

At my worst, I felt the same way in the neck area. It was very tight and uncomfortable.

I am glad you are getting test though. It will ease your mind. I'm sure it's the mono, though.

• Posted

Hang in there Lindsey and Jen, goodness from reading all the messages it sounds like you have both been going through such a terrible time of worry and anxiety on top of the physical symptoms. I do empathise and have been going through worry and anxiety myself lately over health issues and it's awful to deal with, the worst feeling. Remember Lindsey it most definitely can be normal to get pain in the neck and armpit areas with mono - these are prime glandular areas and it's a common symptom - I do hope that things settle and that you are both feeling a bit better mentally today too - I'm back at the consultant over health worries today too so just hoping and praying God can strengthen us all to cope with each day right now.

Craig

• Posted

my neck has always ached, but has been manageable and sometimes I put volturol on it to relieve the pain which works. I had a scan on my thyroid, which actually made the pain worse from where the doctor held the ultra sound scanner on my neck. But lymph nodes are part of your glands right? If so it is all part of the virus, which is why it is called glandular fever here in the UK. Just your body fighting the bacteria/virus. When ever mine ache, I just think of it as another batch of germs being disposes off, to full recovery 😃

• Posted

yes trying to think that myself... feeling awful is just the body fighting the virus.

i never got a fever or anything like that but still awful symptoms. hope the swelling goes down soon.

• Posted

Hi Dodge,

Yeah absolutely the lymph nodes in the neck are a common place to feel it with glandular fever. I got an ultrasound when I had mono on a gland on my neck that was sore all the time throughout it, and the doc said it was just a reactive gland which is normal for part of the virus. Not that it makes it any easier to cope with I know. It was a stubborn symptom and maybe one of the last to fully go if I remember but it did go and remember you will get better and over all of these horrible symptoms Dodge - hang in there and hoping for a good and settled day today. Asking for God's help and protection for us all!

Craig

• Posted

i have the same thing sometimes. its strange like i can really feel my pulse in my neck. and every now and then a shooting sort of pain but then it goes away. anyone else had this?

• Posted

Yip I had that kind of thing too Ant, I had it in strange parts of the body sometimes I have had strange sensations like that on my eyelid and behind ear too! Weird!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.