What are your main symptoms caused by being hyperthryoid?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm just curious what others experience as symptoms of hyperthyroid disease.  My TSH was 0.03 upon a routine blood draw, and my physician sent me a note giving me that info and encouraging me to go to an endocrinologist (which took 2 months to get in!).  I had no idea my thyroid was acting up, but was chalking up any symptoms I had to older age!

4 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My symptoms were: Ankle and knee pain, eye twitching, legs shaking like crazy, my physio (that I went to for the ankle and knee pain) said it was normal...I assured two of them that it wasn't; Shocking digestive problems with no pain, thumping heart, very out of breath going up just one flight of stairs, scratching myself to hell, the worst one: wide awake all night. They all got progressively worse, when I started weighing myself I was losing 2lbs a day every day.

Every single one GONE after a few weeks on tablets. I had no idea either. So weird!

• Posted

My symptoms were thumping heart that felt like it was working too hard, getting very out of breath going up one flight of stairs (and feeling like my thighs/legs were super tired and weak after climbing them!).  I would also feel tired but be unable to nap (my body wouldn't shut down), and during the night if I got up to go to the bathroom, I'd lay back down and my heart would be pounding.  When my heart pounds I feel sort of out of breath too.  Being on the meds (10 mg methamazole) helped, but sometimes even on the meds the shortness of breath/thumping heart would return.  Funny thing though is that my TSH always shows in the normal range now, but I feel like I still have some of these hyper symptoms; I don't know why.
    • Posted

Dear Matty

I have been through similar in fact stil going through this nightmare thanks to an endo who refuses to do a scan and biopsy on the multinodular goitre.

If it helps my TSH was 0.17 in May and 0.16 approx two weeks ago. The T4 is 16.5, TPOA are less than 33.

I am now back to square one as I am being referred to another endo surgeon. I found your posting very encouraging because you have stated that the treatment has got rid of your signs and symptoms.

Thank you and to other members on this website for giving me the courage to face another weary day of this horrific condition.

Kindest regards

Jean

• Posted

I just noticed that you had said that you were wide awake at night. This happened to me for five nights and five days I had no ssleep whatsoever.

In addition I was persspiring profusely at night and recall changing nightwear five times in one night. I also had  severe headaches, throbbing pain in the right eye, dry eyes, concretions of the eye, a posterior vitreous detachmen.

The headaches and painful eye were attributed to co codamol which had been prescrined for a dislocated shoulder some months previously. I had only been taking half the dose 3 to 4 times a week.

In January 2014 I had peripheral neuropathy which is worsening with throbbing ankles and knees. My legs feel very heavy and the left ankle has been very swollen since last week.

I feel sure that these signs and symptoms are linked to thyroid disease.

jean

• Posted

I had the exact same symptoms, even after levels got to normal my symptoms still stuck around for another 3 months or so. Being hypothyroid takes so much out of you and makes the body and muscles so week and malnutritioned that it takes along time to get back to normal. I had a hot nodule which was found 7 months ago when I got sick and was admitted to hospital. I was then put on medication straight away and operated 2.5 months ago to take out half my thyroid and I am still not a 100 percent. I have sustigen every morning and have put 10 kgs back on which is good cause I didn't have it to loose in the first place. Hyperthyroidism is really hard but you will get there :-)
    • Posted

Sorry I meant hyperthyroid. My symptoms were couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, really hard to breath, shaking like crazy especially thighs, fast thumping heart, weekness, dizzyness, extreamly dehydrated even though drinking lots. And heaps more arg!!!
    • Posted

What was your TSH?

Why does this horrible condition affect the muscles?

Does anyone know what the protocol is for the screening of a person with a multinodular goitre?

Thanks

Jean  

• Posted

My TSH was 0.001 when I found out after being sick for months. I was tested for a lot of other things as there are such wide spread symptoms. I had blood tests and because my antibodies were negative I then had ultrasound which showed a nodule, so I then had a little radioactive iodine and pics took of my thyroid to see if it was a hot nodule. Which it was and that was the cause. It was 4 cms and I had no idea
    • Posted

My undertstanding from the doctor is that when you are hyperthyroid, your body is "revved up" and therefore uses a lot of energy.  Unfortunately it doesn't get that extra energy from your stored fat (which would be an easy and an awesome way to diet!), but it goes after energy stored in your muscles, of which the heart is a muscle.  So that is why it is dangerous for someone to let the weight loss go on for a long time, as it may weaken your muscles and your heart.
    • Posted

Hi Calissa, did your thyroid react to the Radioactive Iodine? Is it the same stuff they use to kill off your thyroid cells? I'm having that test on Monday!
    • Posted

Hi, it is the same stuff, but they use less. It does not kill the thyroid at the amount they use. It shows any active thyroid therefore if there is a hot nodule it will show 😀
  • Posted

Irregular periods, nervousness, thinning hair, weight loss (not for me), a big appetite, mood swings, difficulty sleeping ( not me on that either). Also, I know it's weird, but go online and look yo hyperthyroidism in dogs and cats.
  • Posted

Tightness in the legs & feet, tremors in my hands & sometimes shoulders. Fast heart rate even when I'm doing nothing at all, even when I eat I feel as if I just ran a marathon. Can't sleep and when I am able to finally fall asleep I spend another 30mins or so trying to figure out if I'm going to sleep with covers off or on in room temp of 65 degrees. Then finally,just as I get situated there goes the alarm.
  • Posted

Hi Kathy

Like you I had no idea my thyroid was on the blink.  I have myasthenia gravis so chalked up any tiredness to that.  I have been aware of numbness in a few toes and "googled" perpheral neuropathy but couldnt pin down why.  Went to nurse at GP and she referred me for podiatry and bio mechanical assessment next month.  That i thought was that.  Then last week had a funny turn and ended up with a ride in an ambulance with sirens and blue lights and 3 delightful young paramedics.  Very exiting.  Heart rate 193 and BP 79/83,.  After a period of VT my heart righted itself and after loads of blood tests my thyroid came back as over active.

Discharged and awaiting clinic letter and have beta blockers and carbimazole.  Today wierdly my legs ache but fading now. Researching diets now and some research tends to suggest low carb diet good for hyperthyroid, anybody any ideas?

im new to all this and it seems ive a lot of learning to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.