what are your thoughts on Accutane? is this severe acne?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I never used to suffer from severe acne like this as far as I can remember. I did get bad acne as a teenager but not red, cystic bunches like this. For several months I've had on and off pimples or whiteheads, mostly being on my face. But now they are nodular and recently came in lumps especially on my neck. Most of my acne is on my face and neck but I get it on my shoulders and upper arms too.

It did start to happen when I was running into financial difficulty looking for work, working a stressful job and thinking about rent payments. I suppose the cause is emotional. I'm feeling better but the acne keeps coming back.

My dermatologist suggested me to try Lymecycline antibiotic. I took the whole course but it didn't clear my acne. He then suggested I try Accutane on a low dose after noticing my lumps (not from these pictures though) I recently gave up a blood sample for it and seeing him mid March. I am nervous taking such a drug because of the reported effects and my eczema which has been better recently. My dermatologist really rushes through appointments and I'm unable to get very detailed responses from him, probably as he's always really busy.

Do you think its worth taking Accutane for cystic, tender acne like such? Or should I make a GP appointment to get another professional opinion?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i think it may be wise to go and see your gp again , something is clearly not right , sometimes it just changes to your diet , or products that your using have you tryed going back to basics , my hubby and son were also in the same situation as you , so i got rid of soaps with perfume in them and brought coal tar soap which took the oils out without harming your skin , which seem to help , also it does look like some of your hairs seem to be growing inward which can block your skin causing infections to occur ,so try and wet shave a few times a week make sure you place a warm flannel on your face before and after the shave . also if your skin gets a little dry why not use rosehip oil , only a little and massage into your skin , stay away from sugary foods as much as possible and reduce your salt intake ,drink plenty of water .do not squeeze any spots as it wil make them worse , try some herbal tea nettle tea is great or ginger tea , oh and by the way my hubby hardly ever gets any spots or cysts now ,just an odd one , when he stressed with work , try not to worry to much i know it hard but stress can cause more harm ...

• Posted

My nephew used this and its the only thing which worked for him. He has lovely clear skin now.

• Posted

Take oral antibiotics like tetracycline.(doxycycline)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.