What blood thinners have you taken

Posted , 7 users are following.

and what are the side effects?

I have taken rivaroxaban (xarelto) I got numbness and tingling, unbearable headaches, dizziness, I really needed a wee all the time, no appetite, nausea and green diarrhoea.

I have also taken Apixaban (eliquis) I got screaming headaches, dizziness and nausea, my symptoms got worse and I had really bad anxiety.

Now I am on Tinzaparin (innohep) I get a mild headache, bruising and lumps where the injections go in, red marks on my skin and a buzzy feeling sometimes (but not in a good way).

I would be interested to know what other people have experienced.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was only on Claxene for 3 months and it used to cause a little headache just after I had an injection.
  • Posted

Was on Rivaroxaban and had bad nose bleeds and then ear bleeds. Now on Apixaban and no problems. I understand a new product is due soon which has an immediate antidote if required.
  • Posted

On both Xarelto and Eliquis I got pretty much the same as you. My body ached, headaches, fatigue, I couldn't function at all. They switched me to Savaysa and a lot of the side effects went away. I recommend that if you can get it. It's the same as the others, one pill a day.

• Posted

If I have to be on blood thinners for longer, I will definitely ask for that because injections are ok short term, but I have so many painful lumps and bruises it is embarrassing.
  • Posted

I was on Xarelto and definitely had fatigue issues, to the point that I had to take a nap every afternoon. (I'm 42 and working a desk job). I also noticed a complete inability to recover from any physical activity. I'd go out for a short run and it would take 2 days for the soreness to go away. I'm glad to be off of that stuff for sure. 

• Posted

I have been on Apixaban (Eliquis) since March, and on it for life!  At the beginning I had no symptoms, thought this was OK as been on Warfarin twice before for DVT and then PEs 4 years ago with problems but was only on them for 6 months each time.  Recently, from 23rd July been suffering dizziness, falling over, nausea and numerous other symptoms.  GP said it was not the blood thinners, may be to do with asthma (breathlessness, coughing and low peak flow), and circulatory problems, possibly a blood clot pressing on the heart, but I would imagine the clots will have dispersed by now!  Has so many tests the other day, so will find our results next Tuesday.  Maybe I have been lucky with having relatively few side effects, but everyone is different, do you get migraines?  Perhaps if you get these, then they might be exacerbated by the thinners. Worth checking.
    • Posted

I have heard that apixaban doesn’t work for a small percentage of people, I was very breathless when I was on it and I had dizziness. I was wondering if it was working on me properly because when I was on rivaroxaban my breathlessness from the PEs got better as did the pain. But when I switched to apixaban, the pain and breathlessness was worse than before treatment. Have you  had a CT since you have been on it? With all due respect to GPs they seem to know very little about PEs and often guess answers to questions rather than admit they don’t know. 

I got migraines on both rivaroxaban and apixaban but not the injections I am wondering whether that has something to do with the pathway. Both those tablets use the kidneys and Tinzaparin uses the liver.

• Posted

I'm taking Warfarin... I been taking them for 3 month because I have clots in my chest, so far so good the only symptoms I have are headaches and I have to go to the bathroom often. Is anybody else taking Warfarin?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.