What came through the post today...

Posted , 8 users are following.

My copy of A Precription for Alcoholics, all 550 pages of it. That should last me for a week.

And two invoices, one from Warwick hospital for £25 and one for Coventry Hospital for £50. For payment to cover the cost of sending me my patient records whilst I was there. I'm glad the fee is capped at £50, because I was at Coventry for almost two months and I hate to think how much it would be without a cap, especially as you have to go through their legal department for them.

They shall make interesting reading along with the book. That and doing the third and final tier of my Amateur radio licence (there is some serious equations, algebra and physics involved in that), should just about frazzle my brain.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have ordered that book, too.  Making myself actually read a book nowadays, is a bit of a challenge.  Concentration span of a newt !!!

'Nuff said,

Alonangel 🎇

P.S. What is an Amateur Radio Licence? Good Luck with the Brain Frazzling.🤕

• Posted

I think your concentration will get better with less drink, Alonangel.

I think I'm going to order the print copy of that book. I got an online copy and the first two chapters were very moving in her description of the status quo for treatment of AUD. I hope it starts a revolution like TSM has!

Hope you're doing well!

• Posted

I think you are right !  Drink is my "opt out" of everything.  I ordered the book from Am*z*n, £13.20.  

I am doing ok, thanks ADEfree.  Daily Units now 8.  Was 20 Units, when I started Selincro/Nalmefene, 4 weeks ago. I had one alcohol- free day, when I felt poisoned by Gin.   I have accepted that there will be blips... so have stopped "beating myself up" about it...  too wearing on my shattered psyche !  

I hope all is well with you.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

"Daily Units now 8.  Was 20 Units, when I started Selincro/Nalmefene, 4 weeks ago."

Yessss!!! Very good results in such a short time, Alonangel! Keep on going!

I'm doing well, had a 6.3 blip, but mostly keeping it around 3-4 per night. I seem to get a blip after pushing the units back a bit, then I notch it back down without much trouble. 

• Posted

Is it the Selincro/Nalmefene, that you are taking? How long for?  

My memory is a bit newt- like, too.  You may have stated it already... I forget easily.  I have tried to cut to 4 Units... but BLIP, maybe too soon.  One bottle White Zinfandel Wine = 8 Units.  I want to try the "decanting" into miniature bottles, again.  4 miniatures = 1 full- size bottle.  I aim to stop at 2 mins. this week... 4 Units.  May have to do 3 mins. first, knowing me... we will see.  My intentions are honourable !

'Glad for your progress.  Well done.  Inspiration for me.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Thanks, Alonangel! 

I'm using Naltrexone, started early in January. 

Yeah, cutting in half from 8 to 4 units might be a bit quick. Well, see how it goes, if you get another blip, then maybe try dropping 1 unit per week or whatever you feel comfortable with? 

Great progress for you so far, I like it!

• Posted

Never heard of the book.  What it is about?

• Posted

A lot of what we discuss here, and how there are solutions out there and medication and ways to treat people, but we kept getting told, go see AA, write a drinks diary, we don't offer that medication. And how people with alcohol problesm are let down and new medications and ideas aren't embraced.

How the whole system is wrong, top to bottom and why people are continuously failed.

It was written by a North American, so has a lot based around the US system, but also talks about the EU. Paul read it and thought it was quite good, so I thought I would try it.

• Posted

So its a book that talks about all the things we are aware of...but it helps to read something that makes us not feel alone sad
    • Posted

No, it has some new things that we weren't aware of. I spend a lot of time studying alcoholism and the affects of intracerebral haemorrhage, the two things that have affected me. I will read up on anything that adds to my knowledge and understanding.
    • Posted

It pulls together a lot of different medical treatments, Missy. I learned quite a few new things from it.
  • Posted

Sorry ,  if my Amateur Radio Licence question was inappropriate.  I do not mean to impose.  

Good Wishes.

• Posted

It is hard to explain to someone that isn't in to it. It is the use of transceivers to communicate with people all over the world.

Building your own equipment, antennas, experimenting with them, a very technical hobby with vigorous technical exams to go with it. I could switch my radio on now, and talk to like minded people in any part of the world. And yes, you could use a mobile phone or Skype, but mine is from the radio I have here and the antenna I built in the garden. If the internent went down and all the mobile phone masts went down, I would still be able to communicate, because my system it is not reliant on any outside equipment.

• Posted

Impressive stuff.  Hobby and a half !  Thanks for the info.

A. 🎇

• Posted

I knew that someone would make that statement.

It was just a matter of time.

How come in my email preview window notification of messages, can I see that you put a tongue out emoticon, but when actually on this site, all I see is a funny small box with tiny letters inside it.

• Posted

I can see the tongue out emoticon.

This site is a little odd to use sometimes

• Posted

what an AMAZING hobby!! super and I am impressed. Do not rely too much on my mobile like some.....best of luck and good chatting!! Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.