What can be done for tie pain and numbness following 4 spinal fusion surgeries?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had a compressions fracture at the L4 following a fall on black ice on a January 5, 2014. I had 4 spinal fusion surgeries and it has left my legs numb and severe pain in my does. My doctor told me that it Meyer go away but a while. It has not been over 3 1/2 years and I still have it. What could one do. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your problem, and I have the same.  Had spinal fusion T2-T7 in March 2015 and still have pins and needles and numbness mainly in my feet.

I was told the same thing by doctors, that it may go away but in my case at least I doubt it.

I had six months of chemo as well and periferal neuropothy is one of the side effects of that.

I find the only relief for me is a hot footbath using Epsom Salts, and if I wear thick socks it helps as well.

Mine are usually worse at night when I am sitting and especially when I lay on the bed to sleep at night.  As soon as I stand up it goes away. 

The footbath is best for me just before I go to bed, but sometimes I have another a bit earlier as well, at dinner time.

I doubt if there is any drug or medicine for numbness, if there is I wish someone would tell me about it.

Good luck.

• Posted

Go to a really excellent neurosurgeon.  Bring all your imaging, post-operative reports, etc.  I would suggest finding a TEACHING-hospital affiliated with a major university somewhere near you.  These are usually staffed and led by some of the top people in their field.  You need a real expert to look at you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.