What can eat? Hypo Thyroid, high cholesterol, low vit D & severe anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Confused! All within the last 9 months I've been diagnosed with under active thyriiod, low vit D, high cholesterol and severe anxiety. My problem is my due to my anxiety my appetite is very poor my diet is sketchy. And I have no idea what foods to actually avoid and what foods to eat for the best rolleyes. Can anyone help? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What medication/action plan have you been given Lahne ?
  • Posted

Lahne, it'll be OK. Happened to me last year.

First, I found that my cholesterol dropped on its own when my thyroid level were normalized. I went from 275 in December, started treatment in April, June was 234, then now 217. Didn't do anything different except take thyroid meds.

Vit d is easy to correct. You can buy supplements over the counter. I take 5000 iu a day. After 5 months I went from 15 to 29. A doctor can also prescribe mehadoses (50,000). Usually you take it once a week for 2 or 3 months, they retest, then you go off it for a while. Then they retest to see if you are staying in the target range. If not, you continue supplementing and getting mehadoses as needed.

Anxiety... I got very bad anxiety when my TSH level was over 10. When it normalized, no more anxiety. It comes slowly. I reminded myself it was going to correct itself, everything was fine and then it was! If you need help, talk to your doctor about prescribing a low dose anti anxiety medication until your thyroid normalized.

I hope this helps. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

All my best, jen

• Posted

Ah, forgot about food. I'm overweight also. My endocrinologist put me on a no carb low fat diet. Skinless chicken breast, white turkey meat, fish, some nuts, lots of water, salad, etc.

• Posted

Sorry but 15 to 29 in 5 months on d supplement is awfully slow if symptoms are debilitating. Would highly recomend decent prescribed doseage where 10wks can make a huge difference to quality of life. Sorry JenniePoobah,not looking to argue, just passionate knowing how ill d deff can make one feel.
    • Posted

I agree, which is why I also spoke to getting mehadoses and what that process is like in the rest of the paragraph. Some people try to manage it themselves first, so just explaining what I had learned along the way. I am unable to take mehadoses now, due to allergy. So I also tried self supplementation with lower doses. Unfortunately, also allergic to those, so I'm trying skin patche's next. All that to say that there are multiple easy paths to take care of a Vit d deficiency.

• Posted

Generally oily fish ( mackerel,salmon etc) rec for d but most importantly try to get 10 mins in the son without sunscreen a day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.