what can help hormonal anxiety and depression?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. I've got pcos and last year, 9 days after my period, I suffered extreme anxiety and depression. Every single month this happened for the week after my period. Been put on the pill and I take AD's. I have never ever had blood tests to try to find the cause of my sudden hormonal imbalance. I'd been diagnosed with pcos 8 years prior to this happening. Been on the pill 3 months and I've started feeling anxious again and my ocd has been playing up. Is there anything that could be causing this like vitamin deficiencies? Could the doctor do any tests for things like that on the NHS? Hope someone can give me advice

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I use St John's Wort and Damiana to lift my moods, they might help you.
    • Posted

Hi ive heard of St. Johns wort but not Damiana, also know that St. johns wort cant be taken with certain meds, id like to try something myselfe as been feeling really depressed due to my own health and other health problems in the family. im not on any drs meds just my own choices of alternative but would taking st. Johns wort  interact i wonder. 
    • Posted

Hi Susan, Damiana works really well with St John's Wort and it's energising and boosts sexual health.

I don't know about interactions but I've ordered the A-Z Guide to Drug-Herb-Vitamin interactions, it sounds really useful.

The only thing I know about St John's Wort is that people who are very sensitive to the sun can get reactions. Seeing as you're not on prescribed drugs I expect the herbs will be safe. You'd have to try them for yourself.

Also have you thought about a light therapy box? Mine really helps me.

• Posted

Have you thought of trying meditation? Mindfulness meditation or active meditation?

Or (the best) a combo of both, active first, followed by mindfulness.

It's slow to get started but if you stick at it it can have long term effects not just on depression, but on your whole life.

And no side effects but a lighter heart!

• Posted

I have thought about things like yoga. If my mind ever really plays up, I do try and just listen to my environment, like the traffic or birds etc.
    • Posted

'Just listening' to your environment is a great start. It's actually the first step in meditation, so you've got some feel for it already. Brilliant!

Now try taking it deeper! The active part would help you in that.

Yoga is also good, but my guess is you'd need activity before you can relax inside. Pranayama in yoga is about the breath and so is meditation so there is a valuable cross-over and yoga can help but doesn't go deep enough in this way I'm indicating.

• Posted

Regarding meditation...I've tried for years, off and on, but never understood it really...guessing it's different for everyone, I have so many books, but still never really got it.

They say focus on your breathing, well that just makes me yawn or hyperventilate, or get all nervous about breathing...ha, ha.

They say find a mantra, well darn it give me one I can remember and really feel it.

so...after many years, now I've found some things to work.

First, I learned and found a practitioner for Bowen technique. It really, really relaxes the central nervous system, if you let it. Then she taught me to open my heart. She said when something negative comes up ask your self "how does that serve you?"  In other words, would you rather feel the anxiety, the worry, the negative thought or feel joy in your heart?

I have a condition, PMR, in which I'm in pain every day in several tendons in the body, so I understand anxiety, and meds often create anxiety feelings too.

i hope your meds are ok, yes, hormones can be crazy, but also I think our getting anxious might cause hormones to really kick in more, flight or fight stuff. So my advice, continue your research but also really really try to calm your body down mentally. I know, I know, people told me that as I was younger and I never understood what stress can do to body until now. 

Cyber hug!!! 

• Posted

This lovely post of yours should actually be addressed to B17Fan, shouldn't it? I hope she didn't miss it because it has my name attached.

Very worthwhile!

• Posted

Light, In my other forums we just answer in thread assuming owner of post will read. I was just also giving thoughts in addition to yours.  I hope you are right that they read it as well. Thanks. 
    • Posted

Hope so.

If you want help with meditatiom, just message me...

• Posted

Natural herbal remedies can be far superior to chemicals. Also, as you have correctly noticed, your diet and vitamine intake can influence your inner balance and mood.
  • Posted

Wow my eldest daughter is dealing with this and i have just started researching it myself.  Absolutely having a certain pcos diet is needed. I got some pcos diet book for her. Low carbs and lots of veggies. Keep the calories down very easy to gain weight and very challenging to loose it. Vitamin D is touted as low in people with pcos but honestly somehow over the last decades it always talked about.  I dont want her on any medicines unless they are sure of it effects. All i know is exercise is very important too. There so much information on pcos on pinterest if that can help. Its overwhelming. I did ask the endocrinologist and her gyn on what they felt about auppliments and such they said nothing has prooven. I would definetly recomment a well graded multi vitamin in powder or liquid form daily.if you can see a nutritionist, even a diabetic nutritionist could help. My best advice is pinterest and buy a pcos diet book so you can figure out what to eat. They ran six viles of blood on my daughter but i have no clue on its contents. Hormone levels and stuff. Prolactin was high. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.