What can I do to be rid of very painful bumps on my scalp?

Posted , 4 users are following.

For years now I have been suffering from very painful bumps/pimples on my scalp. They will not go away. I have followed all advice given and used hypoallergenic shampoos and others. I have also used different scalp applications and three months prescriptions of antibiotics several times over the last two years. The bumps went away but they always come back in no time at all.

I have been prescribed and reluctantly about to start on "Lymecycline Capsules Hard 408mg" ,

I think it has to come from within.

I've looked at my diet, I am gluten and dairy intolerant and drink only water.Dermatologist told me it was folicolitus and I'm stuck with it for life. Any ideas anyone. Would it be worth asking for a biopsy,

I wonder.

I do not want to be on antibiotics for life?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

For scalp folliculitis firstly, there are some things you can do topically. Try mixing neem oil, tea tree oil, mint oil or thyme oil or all of them together in conditioner and leaving them on. (They are all strong antibiotics, especially neem. You can find the medial studies online.) Or, try putting them in shampoo and leaving them on. You can also try some bleach in shampoo. I know it sounds weird but it kills everything. Go slowly i.e. using a small amount of bleach in the solution and if it stings you have to much wash it off. This is the equivalent of giving the scalp a bleach bath. This is a TINY amount of bleach in shampoo or conditioner. If it does not work at all, up the amount of bleach.

Secondly, yes of course get a biopsy. Certainly you must do one before you go on antibiotics. You need to know if it is in fact a bacteria you are fighting. You must rule out a fungal infection.

Lastly, there is a guy who posted on the Internet who had success with shaving his head, and applying clindamycin TOPICAL suspended in alcohol (he just broke open the capsules, dissolved them in rubbing alcohol, and applied them to his scalp.) This was prescribed to him by a dermatologist in Japan.) Obviously, you have to be extremely careful to sanitize everything you shave with every time, and keep the scalp clean. Also if you have pimples, you may need to use an electric shaver on a 1 or 2 setting and do a brush cut. Don't open the pimples obviously. I do know of two people who got better just from getting brush cuts.

Lastly, it is possible that a course of antibiotics will clear this up. You can try it. If it doesn't work after two weeks or whatever the doctor prescribes, you will have lost nothing and be in the place you are now. But it might work.

Good luck

E

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth.

Thank you for your kind reply and help I am desperate to be rid of this problem

My daughter uses/mixes essential oils together for most things including for her hair, hand and body creams. I shall certainly give this ago first.

Kind regards Pat

• Posted

Agreed start there.

Let me know if it works. And consider a short hair cut if you don't already have one. I have two male friends who got this. Both got brush cuts and both said that was a turning point

😃

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth.

I have short hair and have mixed all the pure oils as you advised. Neem, Mint, Tea tree, and Thyme. I think I put on a little too much so covered my head with a transperant shower cap so as not to soil my pillow over night.

After 48 hours I washed my hair and my scalp feels great and my hair is shiny and soft.

I still have some painful spots, though I don't expect them to go that quick .

If I gently dab the mixture on the spots with finger tips morning and evening will that be enough? .

At last I feel I'm really getting somewhere!

Thank you so much Elizabeth

Pat

• Posted

Sure. Why not? The only thing I will say is that thyme can kinda burn a bit if it's too strong so maybe mix the oils in a carrier of some kind? Alcohol? And dab with that? Or a carrier oil. Or try the mixture and if it doesn't bother you then just go with it.

I think it will take a few weeks to clear. You could try mixing the oils with conditioner or doing it as is and putting a shower cap and towel over that overnight.

I hope it clears!

All the best,

E

• Edited

Hello Elizabeth.

I've tried your potions and the painful spots have cleared.

I will use this every so often to keep it away.

I've had this problem for a very long time and I'm so surprised that it seems to have worked mainly because my GP told me I would have it for life.

Thank you so very much.

Enjoy your day.

Best wishes Pat.

• Posted

I've had folliculitus on my scalp (large sore red bumps) and on my legs for 10 to 15 yrs and tried everything to get rid on them , some things worked temporarilly others not at all. I tried a device called i think is called a blue light red light thing from neutragena i got from the chemist and it seems to have worked but i was very vigilant and persistant with it every day when I was watching TV or something.Now and then I might get a very minor breakout so I just zap it. It's only about the size of a pen so it doesn't cover much area. I think you can get a bigger one on ebay or somewhere.It might be worth a try.

• Posted

Hello Adam.

Antibiotics do not work, spots still come back

I am using a steroid called Disprosalic scalp application.

It stops the spots would you believe gone the same day. One shouldn't use this all the time. The spots still come back. Grrr!

The device (blue light red light) is very interesting but I have not hear of it.

I shall look it up.

thank you Adam.

• Posted

Suffering from the same thing for 3 years not. I have already spent about 600 dollars on the antibiotics but it always comes back after a short time. Don't know how to get rid of it!

• Posted

Hi Alifkhan.

I am using Diprosalic scalp application every day It's a case of keeping vigilent and dab it on as soon as they appear. I don't think it is a good thing to use every day

See Adam above. He seems to have found an answer to it by using a devise called blue light red light ? which I shall look up on line.

With folliculitus it seems to be permanent with a lot of people like me for instance. Drives me insane because it can be so painful.

Best wishes Pat UK

• Posted

Hi Alifkhan.

I forgot to say Antibiotics have never worked for me.

The scalp application does relieve it.

Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.