What can I do to ease hemerrhoid pain during bowel prep?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have bowel prep in a few days for a colonoscopy and I also have hemerrhoids which burn very badly when I have diarrhea, last time I had diarrhea the pain was unbearable so how can I make my bowel prep easier? I know it won't be easy since I'll be on the toilet all day.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It's right on the opening of my anus so my bowel movements have to touch it to come out.

• Posted

I mean there isn’t much you can do  I would recommend jumping in hot shower right after bm or even sit in the hot tub 
    • Posted

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I'll just have a hot bath ready in case I need it.

• Posted

Once u start going from the prep you have to drink. It might be easier after first bowel movement 
  • Posted

Jeff, I had grade 3 prolapsing internal hems and what I did was I used a organic ointment similar to vaseline to coat my anus and any hems that dropped out during the bm when I was doing the bowel prep. I found it VERY helpful! I didn't have to shower off at all as this kept the pain to a minimum. A hand shower is a VERY helpful device now and in future is you are going to have a hemmoroidectomy. 

• Posted

That's really helpful info, thanks for the reply and it means a lot smile

• Posted

You're very welcome! Not something you can just ask at any dinner party but this is stuff we humans have to deal with. Oh, and coat (apply vaseline or equivalent) every time you have a bowel movement. Very important. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.