What can I do to help this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with TN

Affecting my 2nd and 3rd branch on my right side.

I have researched it and discovered that it affects people from 50 upwards most commonly

However I am only 19, I have researched this and found out that to Develop TN this young It is known to have an eruption of shingles recently

However I have had nothing of the sort

I am clueless as to what causes it and how I can help prevent it

I have been subscribed the epileptic drug and also anti inflametries

When I get a spell of pain it lasts for roughly 20-30 minutes each time, I have had 3 spells since October 2013, is it normal for it to happen this often as I read it happens more frequently as you get older?

If if is already happening within weeks apart will it get worse?

It's very rare for someone of my age and I now know it's not a very common condition however it's not curable and I have to live with this for the rest of my life

I would jus like some info on how I could help myself

Thankyou

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You are probably experiencing the right symptoms initially, sympathies for you though it's horrid. I have just had this diagnosed and my teeth are in a terrible state after the last attack. I'm not sure if I have to do anything about it either.

Good luck and keep up the meds

• Posted

Hello! Sorry you are experiencing this. I was diagnosed in June and FREAKED OUT intitially. But i have done a lot of reasearch and many many people have long remissions between attacks. Sometimes years!! The key seems to be to keep the nerve as calmed down as possible by finding the right med combo and then if it is settled for three or four months start to wean off the meds. That way you only take the meds when you need them and you won't have to up the dose so much. It is a very unpredictable ailment. I think it is a lot more common than people think! So many people think it is just tooth pain that comes and goes. Hope you get the pain settled soon and can forget about this for a long while!!
  • Posted

My teeth too are a mess cannot even swallow without sensitivity.

Had to up my dose of carbamazepine to 200g

The attacks are jus worse, had a constant 3 hour attack today

Found that tea is a factor to set it off so shall be staying well away.

At first keeping it warm helped.. Now it is not working as much

Sympathies to you both also, it's the worst pain I have ever experienced.

The doctors are all mesmerised at my age and how I've developed TN

• Posted

Hi I was diagnosed with TN in dec 2012. It is the worst pain known to man. I was on tegratol 600mg, and gabapentin 900mg. Getting control is the key, 200mg may not be enough? Although it is associated with older age, I'm 48, and many suffers are younger. I found the trigeminal neuralgia association-UK very informative/supportive love Sandy :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.