What can I eat?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Posted earlier about how I've been living on bread, mashed potatos and apple juice for the past 10 days since I had a flare up. I want to add more but scare of aggrivating my diverticulitis. I have very minimal pain. 

Need some suggestions on what to eat. Fruit cocktail? Can I have salad yet? Oh I just want a big huge salad

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Make broth with bones and soup with very well cooked carrots or beetroot. Pasta is OK for some and fish is usually safe. Chew everything well. Do not eat tomatoes unless de seeded and skinned . I find cucumber is OK and lettuce

• Posted

Btw what you find works o.k , others dont ...there is no guide book to this other than guiding yourself

Thats why its important this person doesnt just omit things from their diet

Cut out the thing you thought caused the flare ups , unless your doc has told you to avoid foods then try foods ...

You will find you can take stuff other people cant , and things like tomatoes might be fine for you

• Posted

10 days ?!?!? surely you can go back to your normal diet after 10 days

you will be wasting away

I think its important to keep your health and strength up and that requires certain foods to do that

When i feel a flare up  i just ease up on hard to process foods and have no high fibre foods ...clear broths only etc i would only do under doctors orders

Whenever you eat certain foods do you get a flare up ? why are you scared to eat stuff ?

• Posted

I'm scared to aggrivate the diverticulitis. I can't take the meds so I'm out of luck if I get another flare up. 

And yes I am wasting away but being tired and malnurished is a better feeling than doubled over in pain feeling like I have toxins running through my body. The meds were even worse. I couldnt' walk for two days because the flagyl made my bones hurt to the core. 

• Posted

I think all of us have had a flare when we eat something, especially the newly diagnosed as they wont truly know what suits them until they try it! It's all trial and error and every single person with this disease is able to tolerate different foods, - I eat loads of tomatoes, I can't eat any vegetables so a tomato salad makes a good substitute!!! A flare can be caused by a meal which we've eaten before but with something added that aggravates the colon, that's why I have to check all ingredients before eating anything in a restaurant! I am always scared to try anything new so I don't! After 11 years I know what suits me and it's just not worth risking another flare. I can't put weight on as my diet is so limited, and I'm sure others are the same. Thinking of everyone in this group, and sending best wishes.

• Posted

What's a good introductory meal after being on low fiber? I'm starving and really want a salad. Would that be okay or too hard to digest?

• Posted

Being on low fibre does not mean to starve. Raw vegetables are hair to digest and should not be introduced too soon. You should be eating small portions of fish ,eggs well cooked tender chicken with well cooked veg . Cooked fruits, then melon, peaches, cherries etc. If skins are a non no avoid cherries . Avoid berries with seeds . I find lettuce is ok.
    • Posted

A small salad should be fine but no coleslaw!!!!  Some white pasta well cooked with a light meatless sauce or scrambled egg if you can eat eggs, a nice bowl of smooth soup is comforting, white toast with melted cheese or mashed potato with cheese stirred through when hot - but again only if you can usually tolerate potatoes, I can't  eat any root vegetables as they cause wind (gas) and the pockets get inflamed but a lot of people are fine with them. I really miss soft mashed potato, chips, beans on toast, cauliflower cheese,  meat other than chicken etc but I'm limited to just gazing longingly at my husband's food!!!!! Thank goodness for tomato salads, cheese and pasta!! At least now when I am looking at a huge menu I don't get overwhelmed! there's usually only one or two things I can eat and sometimes nothing!! 

• Posted

I find that gasy foods can cause a bit of pain, but for me the pain goes away as soon as the gas passes through, I forgot to mention my GI's have always prescribed me hyoscyamine[generic for nuleve] 0.125 mg that helps calm the muscle in the bowl from cramping & I take gas ex also 

• Posted

That sounds a good thing to take, I know I'm in trouble if I can't pass wind!!!! Any beans would be a no no for me - I really miss Heinz beans on toast!!!

• Posted

hi daba, 

I find that letttuce is harsh on my system ,but like chilly101 replied it is a trial and error kind of thing on what foods trigger flares in your body. I usually eat pasta,scrambled eggs from eggbeater, I seem to be able to digest them better than regular eggs, I also eat yogart,mashed potatoes very ripe bananas, cottage cheese mixed with diced peaches, I avoid fresh raw friuts and veggies untill the pain subsides & I am having more regular bowl movements, and I also [against my doc s orders] get back on my fiber regiment, I usually take 4-6 metamuciles a day when I am well ,so I start off slow with 2 a day then increase as I feel better, but thats me, I have been dealing with this for over 10 years and learned how to adjust my diet for my needs,  I think once your flare is under control you might want  keep a record of what you eat & drink and 10-18 hrs after if you get a flare you may be able to pin point your triggers, I have also found that any  [ie allergy,alcohol,opiates] that dehydrate your body may cause flare  up, at least for me they can.I would also suggest you stay away from any food that is hard to digest, Meats,hard uncooked veggies or some fresh fruits, I have been told by several doctors to Drink A Lot of Water, not juice or soda, Plain Water, between 60-80 oz a day, I try to do that on a regular basis anyway, its good for the body to be hydrated , well I hope I have been able to give you some helpful advise, and that you feel better soon. smile

• Posted

I also  find that gasy foods can cause a bit of pain,

[ I eat refried pinto beans in a white tortilla with just graded cheddar & sour cream  as one of the foods I can eat during a flare up}

for me the pain goes away as soon as the gas passes through, I forgot to mention my GI's have always prescribed me hyoscyamine[generic for nuleve] 0.125 mg that helps calm the muscle in the bowl from cramping & I take gas ex also 

• Posted

Hi daba, 

I also agree that while inflamed gasy foods can cause pain, but if I really want them I just pop a couple of gas X pills and within 15 or so minutes , or as soon as the gas passes the pain ebates.

Also on of my favorite meals any time, but especially when I have a flare up is just like your, refied pinto beans, toast tortilla on gas oven top to add a bit of crunch, gradded cheese, & sour cream, I find the ones at taco bell don't bother me either, I ask for a bean borito,-onions + sour cream, and the nacho and cheese also do not bother me, my husband is the cook in the family and along with scrammbled eggs [egg beater] , and Mashed potatoes, and mac and cheese, he also make a wonderfull dish with cooked pasta in fry pan add a bit of olive oil/butter or butter substitue,heat a bit then add graded cheese of your liking, we like it with a strong chees, when it is good and hot & cheese is melty drizzil an egg/egg sustitue in cook a few minutes untll eggs are done, and you have a nice meal that is not bland, but has all the stuff that will go through you intestines easily , I also tak hyocyamien, and I think it works better than the name brand nuleve, and is 1/3 the price, i also eat a yogurt a day &  and try and ead a hight fiber diet, but I also take fiber supplements  Every day, I use metamule caplets 4-6 a day , but our systems are all different, my husband takes citrecil tab,and have been told by doctors, if you feel bloted or constipatied you can take Mirilax every day, I only use that occatoinaliy, I was happy to see some one ele who uses Hyoscyamine, in all of the disscusions & forum I have been on you are the first to mention it an gas ex, I am glad I found this forum, I was starting to think I was wierd or just a big baby, the only other person who has had problems is my husband, and wether he was missdiagnosed, or diet just didn't work , they just kept giving him anii-biotics for over a year , only luck was he was seeing a kidney doc & the cipro raised the numbers, and at my INSISTANCE. I demanded they do further testing , he was finally given a colonoscopy, and sent in to have elective surgery, and it was in a nick of time his whole sigmoid colon & then some was dieseced & absested, it was only a short matter of time before it would have perverated,even liprocopic it was a major surgery & took months to heal, & he still has to watch what he eats & take fiber every day, if he does not have at least one bowl movement a day he becomes very uncomtforable and tender. 

To all of you who suffer from these issues stay conected to others who can sometime provide helpful advise, but most of all , go on line & find your self a good GI,one who listens and does not prescibe anit biotics every time you say och,also look for one who has been Board Certified reacenltly in & rectal disorder, and preferably is also a surgeon. 

Well I guess I have gone on for too long , but I am jut trying to help , I have been dealing with Gastritis since I was young now they call it irritalble bowl, no matter it does not get better with age, and you really have to know your body & have a good doc to get through it . 

Thanks for letting me babble, Amelia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.