What can I expect? 2 days in and things seem to be okay...

Posted , 7 users are following.

This is my second day on this med and up until taking it I was really worried about the weight gain aspect of things. At the mo I'm still feeling the brain zaps of the last drug I was on, a little bit washed out. That was Venlafaxine which was great for all of 12 months then gradually pooped out. I stayed on the lowest dose but noticed myself sinking into this lethargic depression quickly; I was crying here and there, I quit volunteering, my bed was my sad cosy place perched on a cliff of %(£" ...

So far I've noticed the Mirtaz gently knocks me out after an hour of taking it. Vivid dreams ensue and if I get up during the night my balance is akin to being on a bouncy castle. Otherwise, I've been getting out of bed and doing stuff earlier (which is probably a good sign). In fact I'd say if it wasn't for night-time sedation I'd think I wasn't taking anything it all - I think I've become a little used to the unpleasant effects of venlafaxine.

Anyway. I'm curious as to what to expect on these. As I said, I've heard they're awful for weight gain and sugar/carb craving. I'm not sure if it's the power of suggestion but yesterday I walked into town for brownie mix and had to fight myself from tasting more of the cooked gooey result. That and I've generally felt colder which would make me think that my metabolism has crashed.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I dont know if you would be getting any effects from the medication after 2 days.

However I was on mirt for 6 years it was great apart from the weight gain.

In my case it was worth it to have my depression under control

I dont have any will power but Im sure If you exercise and watch what you eat you can control the weight gain

Take Care

• Posted

Hi Chris iv just come off mirt to go on venlafaxine. .mirt was great for me to start ..great for sleep my moods lifted brilliantly. .I felt like a new woman.. after 2weeks I went to 30mg I think the weight started almost at the beginning bt I thought I was comfort eating as id never known any tablet to do this.. I just went down hill on 30 because of the constant battle in my head trying to fight the cravings. .I couldn't sleep until I gave in either. Iv been ill every other week with flu/colds ..

I fort not to be put on venlafaxine bcause iv only heard bad but iv no choice they say..

There is a couple on here that havnt gained weight & have been fine. Just keep an open mind & you will no the signs at least ..

• Posted

Venlafaxine is a good med, just it gets a lot of bad rap for the withdrawal syndrome it causes if you need to come off it / find it's not helping anymore. That and the side effects tend to vary from non-existant to being a major poop. I was somewhere in the middle in that regard.

Whilst everyone is different I found the withdrawal symptoms to not be that bad - for the most part you just feel sort of 'bunged up', low and have brain-zaps. It subsides for the most part within two weeks doing the standard 37.5mg dose drop - and hits everytime you move down a dose. Though some people go cold turkey and avoid it entirely and some people get it worse. Either way, I expected something horrific and found it was mainly more an "ugh" experience like when one feels inexplicably malaised, down and out. It also took a further two weeks each time for my mood to 'stabilise'.

As far as efficacy goes I found Ven started working within a week; I liked going outside, everything was more colourful, I liked listening to music again and I was able to get down to working on my dissertation without having a meltdown. Sometimes it worked too well; I was content with sitting around on my bum watching TV instead of looking for work. I basically started enjoying life for what it was... which was a nice turnaround from a sort of crippling "in a long dark tunnel" depression I couldn't see past.

Pretty much no effect on weight - only side effects were that I needed more sleep, my brain was often foggy so it made time go by quicker, I often felt fatigued in the workplace and generally slowed down.

Other side effects worth mentioning; to begin with, I had had some sweat-inducing nightmares which left me feeling claustraphobic until midday. There were also some sexual side effects but that generally resolved over 3-6 months, that and irritable bowel, which was a major nuisance for the better part of a year. Plus headaches but co-codamol sorted them every time.

So it does have it's fair share of unpleasant side effects but it's well worth giving a go as it generally works well to match. I made some major progress on making my mind a lot healthier whilst I was on it so I wish you all the best with it smile.

• Posted

Hi Chris thanks for taking the time to tell me all that 😉 you have put my mind sort of at rest ..alot better than it was anyway. . Did u have emotional problems on it at all ?? As in not feeling.? What time is best to take it ? Think it's about time now ..doc just rang to start my next dose ..havnt sated this yet.. still having crap WD from mirt..I wanted to try & start fresh
  • Posted

Hi beleive me the weight gain is terrible it just creeps on to you over night lol being serious from someone who did not have a problem with weight could eat what I wanted and got put on these tablets 30mg now 45mg I need them so I really do have to watch my weight now
  • Posted

Weight gain !! After 12 months none o my clothes fit.i have put on 3 st and gone from 32

Waist to 36

• Posted

Aw im sick of it I was putting the weight gain down to underactive thyroid as that is a massive side effect but these tablets are not helping matters im going to come of them I am still a size 10 but I am not comfortable everyone knows there own body
  • Posted

Hi Chris,

I had no weight gain at all on mirt and manged to loose a stone and a half since I've been on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.