What can I expect after bunion surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just had bunion surgery one week ago today. Interestingly enough I am feeling more pain, swelling and stiffness now than I did the first couple of days. I have been following the protocol of keeping the foot elevated and staying off it. Just wondering how long the recovery is?  I am hoping that next week when the stitches come off I will be able to get around a little more. I am unable to do anything because if my foot isn't elevated it hurts. Just wondering if someone that had the surgery can shed some light on this. 

Just st as an FYI in addition to having the bunion removed.  I also got two screws and a staple to straighten out my big toe. sad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'n a nut shell 12 to 16 weeks. Up to a year for swelling to stop. Everybody experiences recovery differently. But the main bit most people will agree on, the 1st few weeks are the most painful. Don't panic it will ease in time and you will be left with a pain free pretty foot. I had mine done separately last year and am wondering why I left them for so long. Feet up pain killers by your side and keep smiling 😊

• Posted

Hi, I am 2 days after bunions removed on both feet. Feeling ok haven't dared to put any weight on my feet except going to the toilets etc. 

Do you sleep with your darco boots on? I am in bed without them. Hope that is ok.

Appreciate replies.

• Posted

Thank you for the words of encouragement Fiona!  I am feeling better every day. Happy that I had the surgery and got past the first two weeks. Fingers crossed things will continue to improve. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.