What can I expect - Stories please

Posted , 14 users are following.

Just been diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes with astigma in right eye. Consultant says he want to do op, please tell me everything you know about the op, before during and afterwards to help me decide whether I should go ahead. I can still see and read, up to a point, and am a 68 year old female. Thanks.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I TOO WILL NEED THIS ON BOTH EYES IN THE NOT TOO DISTANCE FUTURE! I HAVE A FEAR OF NEEDLES AND HAVE READ AN INJECTION IS USED! HOPE THIS IS UNTRUE, OR THAT AN ALTERNATIVE IS AVAILABLE!GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS (i am 78)

• Posted

Thanks for replying sagalout, I hate needles too, but the consultant I saw last week said that 90% of his operations were done just with a liquid anestheic (spelling?) dropped into the eye and I would not see anything. Just have to hope we are the lucky ones without injections.

• Posted

just had both eyes done in November and December . Piece of cake. No pain whatsoever. The drops numb your eyes. Its amazing. I was scared too.

• Posted

How is your sight now? If you wear glasses, did you have to have a new pair?

• Posted

i had multifocal lenses put in No more glasses!

• Posted

Hi, I've had both eyes done..one with needle and one without. You really don't feel a thing as your eye is numbed first.. the op itself is painless and you can't see or feel anything..lasts about 15 minutes, although they say longer...if you have cataracts you really should have them sorted as otherwise you can go blind. Make sure you follow the pre op care to the letter otherwise they wont do it...it's just cleaning your eyelashes with a tiny bit of baby shampoo and water using a cotton bud..the after care can be a pain as you have to put drops in 4 times a day for 4 weeks..otherwise it's the best thing you can do...you will be glad you had them done as your vision will be so much better.

• Posted

Thanks Barbara, that has made me feel much better, even if I have to have a needle, I think I will be OK.

• Posted

Cath, there really isn't anything to worry about...I was a nervous wreck while waiting to get the first eye done, but afterwards they took me back to the waiting room, had a lovely cup of tea and some biscuits, then my hubby came and took me home. I couldn't believe how easy it had been, worried myself sick for nothing...let us know how you get on...x

• Posted

Will do Barbara, I just hope its soon, I suppose I am looking forward to it, want to drive again. Thanks for your advice.

• Posted

I didn't have the pre op care. Another American precaution?

• Posted

pre op care done in canada too. We start both drops 2 days prior to surgery (asude from eye dilation exams, consult and eye mapping - all done weeks prior to surgery.

• Posted

Seeing up to a point is not really good enough and it will get worse. If you are in the UK grab the chance while its there as I had mine done within a couple of months while my wife had to wait for three years due to cut backs and they now have a points system that gives drivers a six point start on non drivers.

It is a simple 20 minute at the max procedure. Had mine done when I was 79, had a cup of tea and home on the bus 40 minutes later. Eye drops every day for a month and no heavy lifting. Apart from that life is really normal just wear sunglasses when out partly to protect eye from wind and dust..

For one I had an injection in the eyebrow and drops in the eye. The other just drops in the eye.

The first one I had a pad over the eye overnight but the second one just an eye shade.

Having been short sighted since I was 11 it was like a miracle when I removed the pad the next morning. I even marvelled at the grass that stood out in 3D and went to the races a few days later and did not use my binoculars.

There are a lot of nervous patients one lady ran away the day I had my first one done and when my wife had her first one done in November another did the same.

• Posted

Expect to be nervous, but know that you will likely be very glad that you had the procedure done. I just had cataract surgery 14 days ago and all has gone well. My cataract developed after a vitrectomy back in April 2018, so only one eye needed surgery. It's amazing how clear my sight in this eye is now! Note that it is important that you carefully consider all your options for the lens replacement. Your surgeon should help you with this decision, explaining the various lenses s/he uses. I was given three different options by three different surgeons (it's ok to get another opinion). As much as I loved the idea of not being dependent on glasses, I decided to go with a near vision lens, knowing I'd still need progressive glasses afterward. I've been nearsighted all my life so wearing glasses/contacts is not a big deal to me.Know that even with distant lens, or multi-focal, it's likely you will still need glasses from time to time (reading). The majority of people go with distance though. Anyway, once you've made the decision to have the surgery you will be provided with specific instructions for pre- and post-op care. Follow these! On the day of surgery you will be checked in (easy). You will be taken to the surgery section (nerves kick in), asked to change into a patient gown (easy) and get on the gurney (nerves). A nurse will place an IV in your arm (pretty painless). You will talk with a number of personnel involved in the surgery all making sure which eye the procedure is being done on. Next thing you know you're rolled into the surgical room (you'll feel like you're on a medical television show haha), given IV drug to relax you. The surgeon will ask you not to talk during the procedure. You will be flat on your back and asked to look up into the microscope and focus on one of the lights (easy enough). You will NOT feel anything! You will not see the surgery or even see the people working on you. Before you know it, you're in recovery. I don't think the procedure takes longer that 5-15 minutes! You will wake up (from twilight as I like to call it) with a patch on your eye and no pain. I was offered something to drink and/or eat, and just had a bit of water. About 30 minutes later I was ready to be released and go home. Recovery has gone well. The first couple days my eyes felt a bit scratchy, but I could see (with old glasses on) really well.Again, make sure you follow all the post-op instructions. You will likely see your surgeon the next day after surgery and then again in one month. I hope my story is helpful to you. Let me know if you have questions...

• Posted

Hi, are you in the UK?....I've just read your reply to Cath and I didn't have to change into a gown or have an IV. I did have to be at the hospital for 11am and didn't go for the op till gone 5pm....so was super anxious by the time I went for the op...but all in all it was well worth it...

• Posted

You must be in America. The NHS does not give us choices of lenses like that only do you want a lens for distance or for reading. We do not get a relaxing IV nor change into a gown, just take our shoes off. Nor do we see the surgeon again the next day or a month later. The six week check up in my area is done by Specsavers opticians.

• Posted

To be honest Derek, I don't remember being given a choice of lens...and I didn't have to take my shoes off lol

• Posted

Our local hospital has a morning and afternoon session with five or six patients at each. Morning starts at 8am and afternoon at 2pm.

When a patient did a runner when my wife was there they phoned someone locally who had said she was available for any cancellation and she came within the hour.

Where did you go for your follow up?

• Posted

For the first one I had to go to my optician's which was Tesco's (now specsavers) after 6 weeks, then at the hospital 3 months later. I had my other eye done in the October and again went to my optician's 6 weeks later, that was in 2017 and as yet, not had a check up at the hospital...the hospital is on the Wirral...and I will ask when I go on the 14th why I haven't had a check up with them as I'm supposed to have one every year because of the high pressure I had in my eyes...Where did you have yours done?

• Posted

Hi Barbara2311 - I'm in the U.S. and should have realized the process would be different in other countries. Sorry for any confusion. This was just my experience. I don't really know why we are placed in patient gowns. I know the IV is to administer a drug to reduce anxiety (which I sure as heck needed lol). They were also very serious about cleanliness. I had to take a shower the evening before surgery and then again in the morning using antibacterial soap, so maybe that's the reason for the patient gown (though I was able to leave my socks on haha).

• Posted

Hi Derek - Yes, I'm in American (state of Michigan). I must admit it was overwhelming trying to decide which lens to use. Distance, Near, Multifocal... I really just wanted the surgeon to make the decision for me. But, no, it was up to me. Probably just as well that you don't get the relaxing IV drug - we have a huge drug epidemic in this country. Luckily I've never had an addictive gene in my body (except for chocolate). I'm extremely fortunate to live in a city where one of the top eye centers in the country is located (part of a university teaching hospital). I never gave the place a second thought until I underwent emergency surgery for a detached retina. Every since, I've been so grateful.

• Posted

Wow, that was great, I really feel at ease now, all these lovely people telling their stories, I realise I was just a wimp and will manage fine. I just hope it all turns out well for both my eyes, and thanks for your input , I will go ahead and get it done.

• Posted

Hi Cath, I was told that they like to get all the surgeries for that day in at the same time so they can check everyone's details and stuff and also they put a tiny little tablet thing in the corner of your eye to dilate the pupil...don't worry you can't feel it....some people elected to be knocked out for the op and they where done first...we were in a waiting room and they did provide us with tea, coffee and biscuits...we all got on well, had a laugh and it made the time pass.

• Posted

Eastbourne District General Hospital. When I had mine done they did the follow up but now it is sub contracted. My wife was originally told that she would get the second one done after six months... I was lucky with mine and happened to phone up with a question and was offered a cancellation after about three months. She is now told that her other one is not to bad and can wait but when she was offered surgery they asked which one she wanted done first so that would indicate there was no difference.

• Posted

The only time I had to have a shower night and morning with anti bacterial soap was before my aortic valve replacement ! At least you didn't have to shave your chest 😃

The only American hospital I have been to was Cook County in Chicago as we wanted to see where they did location shooting for E.R. A doctor asked if he could help us as we wandered around and he kindly gave us a guided tour.

I think we spent about an hour in Michigan once when changing planes in Detroit when traveling from BWI to Cleveland. They had some nice cars on display there:-)

• Posted

Pre and post op procedures in the U.S. probably are about finances (it's always about the money that can be made). Maybe they have a deal with the antibacterial soap industries as well haha! My daughter lives in Chicago and works at Lurie's Children's Hospital. Last time I was there in the city they were filming "Chicago P.D." I loved E.R. and wish it was still on! But now they have Chicago P.D., Chicago Fire, and Chicago Med. I'm about a 40 minute drive from Detroit and 30 minutes from Detroit Metro airport. Definitely have some nice cars, but our roads are terrible. Anyway, back to Cath... Cath you will be very glad you had the surgery done. It's normal to be nervous (it's our eyesight!), but this is one of the most successfully performed surgeries in the world. Keep us posted!!

• Posted

I live in Canada . No gown or IV either. Done at the hospital though. Eye dilating drops 15 min apart then walked to OR in street clothes. Draped with sheets - oxygen tube put under sheets draped over me to help me breathe better. numbing drops poured into my eye. And surgical procedure tool 12 min. Patch on eye and sent home. it didn't hurt - felt pressure but no pain. And despite that - still nervous as hell when 2nd eye was done. but it really doesn't hurt. Perhaps the worry of what vision will be like afterwards (as I waffled and struggled with lens selection).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.