What can this be?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there. A few years ago I had what I thought was a muscle spasm under my right shoulder blade. I sat still for 30 min and it subsided only to be sore for a few days and then it went away.  Another 6 months later the same thing happened. Each time it stopped me cold and I couldn't inhale.  No other symptoms. Once this happened after a light meal and the other few I remember upon waking and getting out of bed which is why I thought it was a muscle.  I had this about 4-5 times and then this September it came back again and a week later I rose out of bed and was in pretty severe pain. It felt like my back was seizing up and I had to pace the house.  Then, it wrapped around my front and under my right rib cage.  It got a little better and I slept a few hours on my left side.  I didn't get any heartburn or sternum pain and it had been at least 5 hours since I ate.  I went to doctor and he gave me baclofen and recommended PT.  I suffered moderate pain a week and was afraid to leave the house and then about 10 days later, the back pain came back. I took antacids, baclofen and even some leftover oxy to no avail.  Super painful and went to ER.  I had contacted my doctor by email and phone for the whole week telling him my pain was almost entirely in the front rib and he never got back.  ER was pretty sure it was biliary colic.  Blood work was fine though.  FINALLY the ER doc contacted my doc and he ordered an US and it came back fine.  I waited for a gastro referral for a month and by the time I found one and had an endoscopy I was without symptoms except belching and intestinal gas. After the incident gas just poured out and eventually got less and less.  The ED showed mild redness (this is two months after).  I was put on PPI and after three weeks I was so tired I couldn't get out of bed. My new family doctor switched me to H2 blocker. Thing is, all through Christmas I ate normal.. no problems.  Then I eat light and belching and feeling super full on one bite.  Now about three days ago, the back pain is back.  I am getting anxiety thinking the attack that took over my life will return.  I seem to feel it isn't caused by my stomach although it is affecting it. I am on the drug until mid-Fed.  Any ideas?  I have a VERY small hiatal hernia.  The gastro really thought it was gallbladder too until he saw the redness and they said gastritis.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If your gastro doctor says gastritis, trust your diagnosis since redness was found. Gastritis is inflammation of the stomach lining. Pain under the ribs can be a gastritis symptom.  The PPI should help to protect your stomach.  Stick to a bland diet avoiding rich, fatty, and spicy foods.  Try a food diary to identify food triggers.  A hiatus hernia may also be causing symptoms. 
    • Posted

Exactly right! Painful I have trouble passing gas or even belching ! When I have these attacks I sleep till it clears up! I eat small portions of food you becareful with foods that cause gas. God bless sweetie those stomach problems suck. 
    • Posted

I have IBS and acid reflux.  I do tend to pass a lot of gas but no food causes it. My acid reflux has flared up again after recovering from a cold; antacids control it.  My IBS is in remission.
  • Posted

It sounds to me like you have severe gastritis or maybe even pancreastits  have had all including Colitis.  I was hospice and given IV antibiotics & fluids until the infection which is inflammation. Under the rib and in to your back sounds like pancreastits and it’s painful you can’t eat you just have take pain meds and sleep when you have. a flare! Has your doctor done a car scan or sonogram on you??

• Posted

first impressions I thought it may be a gall bladder problem but you seem to be on the right track again. Watch your diet and things may improve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.