What can this be on my neck?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi - please can you help?

I noticed this small, pink round growth on my neck hairline, near my left ear, some 10 days ago. Its not painful. I would be grateful for any views on the following:

• can the GP surgery deal with this, or do I need to have a procedure at the hospital?
  • if hospital, how long will I need to stay as an in/out patient?
  • how long will I need to recover at home after the procedure before `i can go back to work?
  • approximately how long would the NHS waiting time be before I can have hospital procedure?
  • approximately what would be the cost in the UK of private treatment to the problem?

Many thanks

J

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Looks benign at first glance. You could probably have that frozen with liquid nitrogen at a wart clinic.

• Posted

That's reassuring, thank you!

• Posted

i have a mole on my neck im in the uk i looked into having it removed privatly as the nhs wont do it based on cosmetic reasons £350

• Posted

if they think its benign they will not remove unless u go private

• Posted

Hi Kim

Is your 'mole' the same as 'basal cell carcinoma' (which is what I have)?

Also, how do I find someone privately to remove this thing from my neck if the NHS won't?

Many thanks

Jeremy

• Posted

mines a large dark mole iv been twice about it they keep saying benign if you think your mole is cancerous and a doctor confirms it u wont have to pay for it to be removed the nhs will remove it for u for free but if it turns out not to be cancerous then they wont take it off

• Posted

image this is mine they wont take it off even tho its ugly as hell

• Posted

Jeremy, you are now saying you have basal cell carcinoma? That is skin cancer!

• Posted

Sorry aceman, I should have said that is what I am assuming I have - after reading about it online and comparing photos I saw to the growth on my neck. What I say is not based on professional medical opinion. Probably just me adding two and two and arriving at five... I hope! I will try and see the GP tomorrow or as soon as he can see me and report back.

• Posted

basel cell usually has a crusty indentation in the middle and can bleed to

• Posted

it was benign ... as you thought. Phew!

• Posted

See your GP. you may have a GP who has a contract with another GP surgery for removal of lumps and bumps. They will also do a biopsy to find out exactly what it is.

Or..your Gp may refer you to an NHS dermatologist. If the GP considers it to be cancerous you will be referred under the "2 week rule" and you will be seen in under 2 weeks. If not considered cancerous but needing an opinion the wait could be quite long.

Or...you may be told it is not worrying and that it cant be removed under NHS at all. In that case ask your GP to recommend a private dermatologist, and write a letter. You may have to pay for the letter. The total procedure may cost about £400. If you want a biopsy as well that will cost another £200-£300

Its done in all cases as a day case.....often in the Dermatology clinic itself.So no need to take your pyjamas! You would have a local anaesthetic ,just an injection into the skin and you dont need any time off work apart from the day you have it removed. Always a good idea to take someone with you, in case you feel "odd" afterwards

• Posted

Thank you all for all the information provided. Much appreciated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.