What Causes IBS

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am curious if anyone knows what causes IBS?  Are you born with it?  Is it a malfuntion of the intestines?  I feel you are born with it whereas my nana and my aunt and my mom all have it.  I can eat healthy with plenty of water and fiber and I will see have those episodes.  I have had it for over 30 years now and there is no rhyme of reason to it.  I can cut out all the foods that I think that bring it on and it still happens.  I wish there was a wonder drug that would help.  I use to have episodes three times a year.  Now I get them at least once a week.  

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The medical profession don't know what causes it, I reckon you are predisposed and it is triggered by some event, stress, antibiotics, etc, and probably a genetic factor involved, in my case I put it down to antibiotics which I had to have when I had gall bladder problems and them again with a serious infection.

• Posted

Hi Martin - I agree with you - I'm positive it's triggered by something - e.g.,  stress - When I first came down with this, (1 year ago),  I was under so much stress, and not dealing with it well.  My main problem now is how to cope with IBS!  What a life-changer.

• Posted

Hi, apparently the digestive system ie the gut and brain are very closely linked I think I read even the same cells are involved the gut and is referred by some as the second brain, a lot of the hormone serotonin is in the gut I read, which you tend to think of as just a brain hormone.
  • Posted

I ate lots of fibre, bran wholemeal bread, and was sick of being bloated so I cut out all bran wholemeal bread and now suffer far far less problems, you are told you need all this fibre then I read some info that people who virtually eat no fibre don't have IBS no bloating no constipation etc, you can find out why all this came about the need for more fibre it's an interesting story based on no science really, look online, why fibre my be bad for you, and fibre myth.

• Posted

Mine was brought on by having undiagnosed food poisoning for 2 weeks where I lost 3 stone and a lot of blood having 2 transfusions it usually is triggered by stress food poisoning but I think it can be heriditory as well
  • Posted

Mindy - I am just as curious - I ate the same food  as you described, but have no relatives with this... so puzzling,  I've had it for a year now - wish there was a wonder drug too!  Perhaps stress brought it on ??? I have lost so much weight - very scarey.

sad

• Posted

Well no one really has a grasp on what causes IBS but there are pretty good leads being investigated like brain to gut signal issues in regards to pain perception to normal stimulus that should not cause pain. Hypersensitivity either caused by a prior infection in the gi tract mild or not mild that sets off the hypersensitizing of the gut. Along with a few other things that makes since like somatization for some. I think IBS can occur due to a number of factors. Either stress induced, some issue in the central nevervous system,and by known infectious causes like even a common food based toxin or bacteria that sets it off. Diverticulitis sufferers are now being told that post diverticulitis ibs is not only real but a likely scenario for many of them. I think IBS is just the result of some other internal process that causes the issue.
  • Posted

I think IBS just kicks in and you have to learn to geg on with it as best you can. Diet is massive and dairy is something I cut out. My gran has issues with her bowels but my mum is fine with it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.