What causes me to flare at the end of the day only if I eat breakfast?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've suffered with bad flatulence/bloating/stomach noises/burning/belching and generally a lot of gas related problems chronically for 8 months now. I also have constipation but it doesn't bother me as much, though it's still constantly there.

I'm on a restricted low carb/low fodmap/low sugar diet and don't snack between meals (only after dinner). Tried a few medicines, herbal teas and probiotics, don't seem to work at all. I've found that the low fodmap diet helps but I'm still really ill all the time and it leaves me depressed.

Anyway, I've been experimenting a bit with a little fasting because I've been having flare ups later in the day recently and I wanted to give my digestive system a break. Started a few days ago (2) when I skipped breakfast. I made sure to eat something light and take ACV before my lunch to get things kickstarted again, and that day I didn't have too much stomach uncomfortableness, only more bloating than I would usually have but that eased down eventually.

The next day I ate breakfast and felt terrible before dinner again, now today I've skipped breakfast again and feel a bit better too. (Worse than the first time but not like I've felt for the past week)

This can't just be a coincidence right? Usually when I feel bad it'll follow a pattern and then randomly change every 1/2 weeks.

What's causing me to flare up about 9 hours later?

I usually eat breakfast an hour after waking up.

It'll be something like poached/boiled/scrambled egg or omelette and lactose free/coconut yogurt with peanut/almond butter or my alternative of lactose free/coconut yogurt, fruit and some kind of nut. (Sometimes I'll have chia seeds. I always love cinnamon with my breakfast too, it adds a sweet kick without the sugar.)

I eat nut butter's sometimes with my meals or as a snack at the end of the day and don't notice any flare up symptoms related to them either. I don't know if it's the timing or what I'm eating, or if just skipping a meal makes it easier for my digestive system.

I hope I don't sound stupid.

Any help would be nice to hear, thanks! x

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi earth, can i ask one question? do you eat bread? do you always eat egg 1st thing? i wonder if you have air trapped when you're eating? i think you could try some gaviscon after meals and see if that stops the sickness. try keep your stomach eating as many bland things as possible, try little and often and if you are truly lactose free for medical reasons then continue in this vain. it sounds like acid is getting stuck and that can really make you feel horrid. good luck, i know how bad you feel!

• Posted

Hi Sam,

1. I don't eat bread, I've been entirely gluten free for about 3 months now, and low carbohydrate for a few weeks.

2. I don't always eat eggs in the morning, as I said I'll mostly have yogurt and fruit with nut butter/seeds.

I did start on a very bland diet before, just oat crackers, green beans, rice, fish, kefir and poultry, and sometimes oats basically.

Started flaring up a lot so I switched to low fodmap and felt better.

I'm a little sceptical of small frequent meals, as I feel it leaves no time for the MMC (migrating motor complex), but I'm willing to try it out.

I could try that, since I do get this uncomfortable sensation in my upper abdomen sometimes. But my main concern is how much flatulence it gives me hours after I eat breakfast.

Thanks for your help, Sam!

• Earth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.