what causes pain in the tibia?

Posted , 2 users are following.

i come to realize that i cant kneel down on hard surfaces. when i do that it feels as if there's no flesh, (please note that its a little below my knee) there. its very painful. i hope you can help me. thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

In the spot that you are describing is where the post-patellar tendon and it's insertion point onto the tibia are. You are right there is not a lot of flesh or fat in this area so you are kneeling directly on the tendon. It is not uncommon to have some discomfort while kneeling on this tendon. It sounds more than that, so I think your tendon is slightly inflamed. Are you a runner? or have you started a new exercises lately? It is a common tendinitis for runners, walkers, skaters etc.. I had this exact thing about 1 year ago. I banged my knee (just below) on the shower door while getting in. It hurt for 2-3 months anytime anything came anywhere near it, but not on weight bearing. I iced it and babied it a bit, as I am a runner,walker and hiker. It went away with no lingering effects. Don't worry. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

thanks for your advice but am not a runner and the exercise part is out, the thing is that when i was much younger i had some nasty falls in one night so im wondering if its affecting me now........
  • Posted

It could come from a previous injury, I suppose. Have you had it a long time? I would still ice it as that numbs it, kills the pain and removes any inflammation that may be hanging around. have you tried any of the topical anti inflammatory creams. Since this tendon is so close to the surface the cream may help with the pain. One exercise you could do while you are sitting down, bring your foot up and try to straighten your knee, then put the foot down and bend the knee. This exercise gets the blood circulating around the knee, but also uses the quad muscle which is attached to that tendon. Do this slowly and controlled. If it hurts, stop. Good luck!
  • Posted

thats why im wondering if its from my previous fall that i had when i was younger. the exercise mentioned i have to keep doing it at times because sometimes the leg , sometimes both of them feel cramp so i have to do that exercise..... thanks alot for your help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.