What causes tremors after eating?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello there, for the last week I've been having tremors and sometimes nausea after eating. I was diagnosed with mononucleosis back in the middle of July, and since then I've had all kinds of symptoms: Fatigue, muscle weakness, brain fog, stomach cramps, less appetite, and nausea. The symptoms had mostly gone away until my period, but two days before my cycle began they all came back, especially the nausea after eating. Now normally, I have anxiety anyways, but lately I've been somewhat constipated, my eyes and nose have been dried out, and the vision in my right eye seems worse (but I might just have not noticed it before since I wasn't so hyperaware of everything then). But my biggest concern is that after I eat, I feel really shaky. My whole body will have tremors for up to 30 minutes almost immediately after eating and it really worries me. I've been eating a lot less than usual because of my lessened appetite and nausea, and I was already underweight to begin with so I was thinking maybe vitamin deficiency, but it worries me so much and I'm out of town so I can't go back to the doctor right now for anymore bloodwork. Bloodwork done in July came back fine except for the mono, dehydration, and a slight vitamin D deficiency, but it's really worrying me. I was told trembling can happen with mono, but I posted in this category instead now since it usually happens mostly after I've eaten.

2 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I copied my answer in this post in case anyone else has this problem:

Thanks for reply, reason why I am asking:

I developed pulsating / tremors all over my body, about 5 weeks ago; had a few bouts previously, but this was the worst.

Doctor that I went to see the first time (2 years ago), had blood tests done, but not sugar levels. It started to go away after 5 days, and thought nothing of it (too much coffee I figured).

Two months ago, had 2 more bouts (3 days each), and it subsided. The last one was again pulsating tremors for the 1st week. I quit coffee, but the problem continued as tremors.

I started to realize that the tremors became worse after eating (like you); especially sugar.

• Eyes dry / vision worse (like you).

• Sinus dry (like you), to the point that one nostril was bleeding in the morning when I woke up; had to pinch my nose to clot.

• My lips dry (kinda like you with mouth).

It was that second week that I went for blood tests for another doctor, in which sugar was included for thyroid testing; tests showed my fasting glucose as prediabetes (A1C was "at risk").

Needless to say, I cut all sugar and lost a lot of weight (like you), but tremors persisted. Two weeks later, my blood glucose tests are normal again (with tremors).

Google search finds some people with the shakes after eating (mostly Diabetic forums), but no one with all the same symptoms combined, such as yourself.

Ciela did you have your glucose test while you were having the tremors? Most doctors would not suspect sugar as a possible culprit, and have it checked during the blood test.

As of today, I have been trying beta blocker propranolol with limited success, and will try another med to see if any progress.

So that's why all the questions Ciela; checking similarities.

I may attempt a prolonged / strict diet (no sugars), to see if this problem (sugar / nerves) needs weeks to resolve itself, instead of days.

My diet plan:

Breakfast: Raw Almonds

Lunch: Egg / Cheese Omelet

Dinner: Caesar Salad

Lots water with maybe fresh Ginger Root tea.

I have noticed that any eating (+exercises) before 5PM , makes sleeps better; less tremors.

BTW Ciela, coat your nostrils 2-3 times daily with any Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil (+lips). It will keep it hydrated.

Hope this helps someone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.