What causes weight gain on mirtazapine and what are close alternatives?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've gained about 15lbs in about 2 months and no amount of any type of diet and exercise seems to stop it from putting on pounds. I'm someone who always struggled with gaining weight and I was curious why I can't seem to get mirtazapine to stop putting on weight, is it just increased appetite or could it be from water retention or slowed metabolism? I've been dieting quite a bit so I don't feel like increased appetite is the only thing causes issues.

Also, I've reached out to my psychiatrist about starting a different medication (I'm taking mirtazapine for anxiety and depression) and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with a similar medication. So far, mirtazapine has worked the best for anxiety/depression as I have bad reactions to SSRIs. I'm sure my psychiatrist has alternatives but I would like to do some research on other meds before I speak with him.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Mirtizapine is very good for anxiety and depression. When I was on mirt I gained a lot of weight. It seemed to creep on. As with you, you nothing would shift it. I also found that I seemingly was unable to control my portions and was always wanting to eat something even if I wasn't hungry. Weight Watchers was some help but alas when I stopped going I put the weight back on. I also had a terrible craving for sweets. Fortunately when I went off Mirt the weight dropped off. Now have withdrawal symptoms (another story). I was going to try a naturopath for help but haven't been yet. They may also be able to offer some weight advice. I will still go for general health and sleeping problems when Covid virus is under control. I do hope that you are able to find something that works for you. All the Best

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! It's nice to know I'm not alone with this issue, I'm currently suspecting water retention is playing a role as well, hopefully this is something I can figure out. Good luck to you!

• Edited

Hi Amanda,

I took Mirt for 3week ago and dont have weight gain problem because i go for regular exercise.The medication cause me to get worse anxiety and depression.Now i have switch to vortioxetine and my anxiety and depression under control.I have bought mirt for 3month supply and now i don't know how ? Anyone interested to buy mirt?I sell at half price .

• Edited

It's definitely not just about what you eat. I don't understand the mechanics of it either (different studies say different things) but I calorie counted before and during Mirt and despite eating no differently gained two stone (28 pounds) within 6 months, having been the same size (119 pounds) my whole adult life. It's such a shame because in so many other ways it is a great drug - I'm sure one day in the future they will find out some way to improve it. Unfortunately I don't know of any other alternatives as it's really in a class of its own. I did manage to lose about 5 or 6 pounds with being SUPER careful with what I ate, but it's very hard. I once heard someone describe it as "pouring water out of a boat with a hole in the bottom" and thought that summed it up pretty well! Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.