What circumstances do others go into AF?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Would like to ask what may seem like a daft question because I know we are all different however I just wondered  -  What symptons do others get when they go into AF?  And are there times in tends to happen to you?

For me its a flutter almost like indigestion right in the middle of my chest.   It typically can happen in the early hours  1.30 and 4.15 being favourite times often followed by going to toilet.     Other times it seems to have happened after an eventful day or after a medical test and when I have gone to eat.    Yet normally eating doesn't seem to flip it.     I guess I am puzzled over the fact  it's hard to tell if there is a digestive element so am just curious at what others experince.   Just had a AF event this morning thankfully all settled by taking my morning dose early with a little bit extra and am seeing consultant this week anyway.  Thanks 

0 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Kate -

probiotics are tricky; some actually produce more histamine or cause its release in the gut, causing stomach pains (like HH), gas and afib.  

The strains of bacteria I look for are - L. acidophilus (for lactose intolerances), L. rhamnos, B. bifidum and B. longum, for the anti-histamine responses. It took me about a month for the full effect of these to be felt, but I still take that probiotic every day before breakfast.   

Frank

• Posted

Thank you so much.  It isn't enough to merely shout probiotics are key! And not give specifics.  Because of your post here I know what to look for.  I have acidophilus but never knew about the others.  Bless you.
    • Posted

Frank

I have multi allergies so histamine  must be a problem for me & the PAF i have 

Which Probiotic brand is it you take, this is all very confusing due to the many brands on the market, the one i am trying is Bio-Kult. Ive done a search on the internet but the info again is too confusing for me to "Digest"..... excuse the pun

Thanks

• Posted

Eating especially late evening does have an effect, talking of indigestion when i first stasrted with AF 8 years ago i was put on Plavix [blood thinner]

i got terrible indigestion & more frequent AF bouts at night, i eventually was put on warfarin instead of the Plavix ,this was after my first ablation in 2010 & i had to take the warfarin for 12 months, but the indigestion was even worse & i use to get terrible reflux in bed at night, my GP prescibed Nexium for this,  i did not know it was anything to do with the blood thinning meds' at that time,until i stopped taking them.

Since i have stopped taking all the chemical meds' I get very little indigestion now , i feel much better, more energy & no where near as much arthritis pain as i use to have, i very rarley need any painkillers at all now.

Chemical Meds are a cheap quick fix & big money spinner for the drug companies in my opinion, but  they can cause too many other side effects to the extent that you need extra meds to fix the side effects.. & then some

• Posted

Thanks for that  - I do have to be careful not to eat late too.   I have gone into AF a couple of times after an 'eventful' day in the evening when I have gone to eat in evening.   Food for thought I see the consultant tomorrow but looking back on my last visit when I said  - what about the gastro link  - his reply was " I am not a gastroenterolgist"   Very helpful     
    • Posted

I am not surprised at your consultants comments.

However when i saw a gastroenterolgist regarding my indigetion & reflux he never  mentioned it could be the medication, he prescirbed the Nexium & made me appointment to see a surgeon to see about laparoscopic surgery, this is for a hiatus hernia , The surgeon proposed the operation, but i was doubtfull about this op' as i know it can cause swallowing issues...cutting a long story short

& as i mentioned in my previous post all the gastric issues almost dissapeared completey when i stopped the medications "Apixaban" & "Sinvastatin"..

now i hardly get any indigestion & i cant rember the last time i had any reflux

• Posted

Thanks to all for the replies on this one.     I saw the heart consultant this week.   He is not at all interested in any symptoms I have experiencing with regard to the AF even though they have become life limiting.   He is only interested in the fact that because I am self managing the 'pop a pill' and havn't had to go to A&E then I am managing.    It appears that having AF on average once every two weeks   (although technically I get a burst of 3 in a week  and then a gap  then 3 in a week) then all is well.

He is also not interested in referring me to the gastro consultant himself insists not his job but will write to my GP to ask her to write to gastro consultant.  It's a crazy world.         Wouldn't it be great if we saw  a panel of doctors or even a 'triage' of consultants before the right route was picked.    At the end of the day I would like to save the NHS their time and funds as well as my own.     Still I have common sense if not good health and we musn't put everyone involved in getting us unhealthy out of work!       As someone else said we can fly to the Moon and beyond but here on earth we cannot sort ourselves out.    

• Posted

Yes i absolutely agree,

just going off topioc slightly, despite the so called deal Mr Cameron has just done, if we vote to Stay in the EU the NHS will only have much more problems which will have a more negative affect on us all, as well as all our other services & also our national security, needless to say how i will vote. arrow

# If the passengers of the Titanic new the ship was going to sink  would they have got on board ?eek ...

• Posted

My condition's recently changed(for the worse) and I'm now not sure whether it's AF or SVT BUT like you Kate I am now terrified to eat anything because of the bloating and digestive problems which have now developed. Am taking Gaviscon after every meal in an attempt to bring up the wind which has accumulated and I cannot for the life of me work out how or why this is happening. Even a slice of bread sets it off, which promotes discomfort and then triggers off a bout of whichever heart condition I have. The medics and ambulance crews think I'm being impolite but I've just got to release the pressure and frankly I don't care any more.   I've just started on 100 Flecainide twice a day (upped from 50 which was making me breathless and immobile) and 1.25 Bisoprolol twice a day (again, doubled). Have a monitor on this weekend to try and capture so that they can come to a firm diagnosis. My main issue at present apart from wondering whether I go on a liquid diet, is the awful feeling of shallow breathing and worry that I am actually going to stop breathing during an episode.

If you 're in the same both as me I'd be glad to hear of your experiences/remedies/solutions.

Thank you

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  Did you try the liquid diet and if so how did it go? 

I just don't know what to think at moment I have seen the steady decine in myself since going on all these meds (now over a year) however the confusing bit is I wasn't right before that  and before the AF but I seem to have slid into a more constant feeling of bloatedness, flu like, virusy  and pain with varying but specific areas the pain comes up in body  and over the last week more pain/feeling in left chest.   I'm so unwell I want to scream for help but I also know that the solution will not be sought so I guess I am just waiting in someways for the ' fat to hit the fan' so to speak.  I suspect in end something will trigger to make the picture clearer.     My thought is to stop or change one of my tablets at a time but the consultant isn't interested   (says that there is no alternative without signicant side effects) to flecanide which he suspects is the culpirt but basically who knows it could be the Apixiban or Biso.  The GP's don't like to interfere when the consultant involved. I know if I ease up on any of them the AF kicks off right away and so I am left with containing the AF but feeling horrendous and even now unable to walk down the road.   I have made a GP appointment for later in week and wonder if a 2nd opinion is my route.   Certainly know the last few days have been very difficult on the hamsters wheel. 

• Posted

It can be so discouraging...so debilitating.  I am so sorry.  I have lived with this for such a long time O suppose I just gave up on meds and doctors.  You are so right. The meds exacerbate things and we feel worse.  Insane.  I went vegan for about eight months and had no afib, no digestive issues, no pain,  and felt 20 again.  Going vegan again.  Sodas, sugar, dairy, processed foods and meat really seem to aggravate my afib.  I will keep you in my prayers.  
    • Posted

Sending the messges earlier on spurred me to chase my NHS appointment to see the gastro person.   It's a long story but basically I'd be lucky to be seen by May and I requested last August.     Up shot of it is I have decided to go via a private route and as if by magic the appointmenet for that is in 2 days!!!   Not sure its going to resolve but I think its a necessary step before getting 2nd opinion re heart meds which I am sure are kill and cure.     Dairy does seem to be my latest issue and I don't do soda's, sugar, processed but yeek I do like my meat as a protein source  although have been having fun with quinoa flakes on weekend end and coconut milk etc.    I wish we could donate are Living bodies (!) to science and get them to really study what happens to people on meds.    Need wards in the way they had sanatoriums for TB   - long stay  to get our  meds right - I'm sure a lot could be learnt from us all.    And I wish they would consult each other  too. Oh well onwards and upwards and  must keep some hope alive. 
    • Posted

What was the outcome of this Kate? I am now being investigated for something called phaeochromocytoma and am just about to give up on the NHS and go down the private route as well. No wonder the productivity in the country is low if everyone's having to wait so long for an NHS appointment!
    • Posted

Hi.  I've had that test  - basically after I had ablation I was so ill that had to be ruled out but the test was fine.  I may be a bit hazy but I have a feeling that might be the 24 hour urine test that you have to be careful you don't eat something like bananas ....I may be getting confused!      Anyway upshot of me is having a Gastroscopy within next month.  I think its fair to say he's not necessary expecting anything to come out of it however we both agree that its best to eliminate at least.  It was suppposed to have been done a long time ago.     He then said if all clear they can still help me and when I presssed him for how ...............he said CBT  because  " I am not coping with my symptoms"   more hilarious laughter at this end.    Truth be told I am coping as well as anyone can humanly achieve and have bought every Tshirt on every therapy to help me out and continue to use them all the time.   I could go on and on and on.     He thinks it is Visceral hypersensitivity which I have no doubt is correct - it makes perfect sense however of course not knowing 'why' that happens out comes 'it must be stress' to put me/you/us in some box and place a tick!      " Have I had any stress recently"  - Yes living with lots of pain and daily shaking and shivery and feeling like I got flu and cannot even walk down the street"       He ho  onwards I go  - at the moment I am just going to see what comes out of the test.  Seem quite calm about the doing it becasue as I told him I think  if a sip of water can set off my AF what will a camera do going down ...but like I say I still think it's necessary so I am a willing volunteer.       I have been cutting out the dairy and what also seems to really help me is if I get to bed early ie 9.30 - 10.00 and get off to sleep if I do that I sleep better and longer. 

Going back to that old chestnut - stress  - this is actually the least stress free time of my life  (apart from the health)    Now where is that missing bit if jigsaw/information. 

• Posted

Have you had your vitamin d levels checked? Low vitamin d can cause a whole raft of problems including mysterious random pains that move round the body. Does it hurt if you press on your breastbone? Sternum pain is very common with low vit d. I felt like death barely warmed up when my deficiency was discovered. Also the UK "normal" levels are dire compared to those of other countries which is a disgrace considering that large swathes of the population are deficient due to inadequate sun exposure. Low vit d can put people at greater risk for heart disease and cancer but is easy to rectify with correct supplementation.H
    • Posted

Your experience mirrors mine so much it's scary. I'm going to see a consultant privately this evening as at the end of my ether and will certainly mention Visceral hypersensitivity which I've never heard of before. My GP has also referred me to endoscopy but what they don't understand is that it's not acid or that at times I can swallow and have a great appetite but on a bad day jaw tenses up and shoulders and the effort of cutting up food and swallowing is just too much.  Surely there must be some expert in this country who could do some research into this and come up with a solution: they'd become millionaires overnight if they cracked it and make lots of patients' lives so much better.

The old chestnut about stress always gets to me too: I think it would be an insane person who would not be stressed by these symptoms: they just don't get it  - it's the illness and its debilitating effects which causes it!

Hope you make some progress - my thoughts are with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.