What clothes to take into hospital for TKR

Posted , 14 users are following.

Just wandering what to take into hospital for my TKR thought it was just nighties and dressing gown but been told to wear loose clothing for day time and flat shoes any ideas.....would you wear knee length shorts so as not to cover the wound or loose trousers HELP

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was told to bring shorts and t-shirts. I had PT same day as surgery and that outfit was perfect. Also, you have to wear thigh high compression stockings (which need to be tugged up a lot), so shorts are easy. I also brought a couple of sweatshirts in case I got cold. They will give you grippy type socks. I was in hospital 2 days and came home with most of my clothes unworn.

Also, nurses can look at your incision when you wear shorts. I am wearing sweat pants and shirts at home now.

• Posted

I wore loose, soft yoga pants and a loose top to the hospital and flip-flops. Wore the same outfit home.

I took a sachel containing my phone, a charger, an extension cord, my journal, pens, some books and magazines and some lifesavers. I kept this right on the bed with me.

I brought my pillow with a cheery cover on it and my favorite fleece throw. Made me feel more "at home". Also, hospital "blankets" are like heavy sheets. It takes about eight of them to keep you even a little bit warm. The blood thinner shots they give you make you feel chilly, so a nice fleece blanket is VERY NICE to have!

• Posted

Cheryl, thank you for mentioning the fleece blanket!  I've added that to my list to wash and put with my stuff for the hospital!  A lot of it has been packed for so long that my husband told me it will get dusty:-)

• Posted

I typically pack waaaay too much no matter where I go. THIS time I focused on what I would need while IN MY BED. After all, it isn't a vacation where you need to be all dressed up! No need to "dress to impress" FOR SURE!

Having everything I needed literally inches from me was REALLY comforting. I didn't have to try to maneuver myself to try to reach my tray table, and I was able to keep my call button nurse visits to POTTY BREAKS.

On those first couple days it is very important to feel COMPETENT even if it is just having what you need handy so you don't have to call the nurse to ask her to get something for you out of your closet. Makes you feel more like a well-organized wrapper of presents who has EVERYTHING nearby instead of having to keep running to get things!

I enjoyed wrapping my fleece blanket around my arms and shoulders. It was like a HUG!😊??

• Posted

Eileen, has your hospital not told you what to take?  I got a very basic list from mine saying two or three nightdresses, knee length, and knee length dressing gown, slippers with a back in, knickers, a VEST (because it might be cold!) - am taking a long sleeved t shirt,  and basic wash stuff and a hand towel.  I increased that list to wipes for every part of my body, antibacterial handwipes, some sleep bras, small bottles of water (in case I need to clean my teeth from the bed), no rinse shampoo, tissues, reading glasses, kindle (charged), phone (charged), a nail file, the paperwork from the hospital, a small amount of cash, pen and paper, and I even got some 'sample' pads because I was told some people pee during the spinal so I wanted to be prepared, although they probably do sort this out at the hospital.  My husband will bring my preprepared bag in with my clothes to come home on the day I leave.   I'm not bothering with socks as they'll be harder to put on and am packing loose trousers for that, all freshly washed.  And flat shoes that he can tie the shoelaces on if I can't:-)

Hope that might help:-)  I'm panicking a bit here - got a sore throat and runny nose, but at least have got two weeks for it to clear up, which it should have done by then!

• Posted

No Chris I was prepared with knee length nighties dressing gown everything I thought I'd need then yesterday at joint school they said bring loose clothing and a full shoe because we like you to get dressed each morning as part of the physio and it's a mixed ward 😷

• Posted

Yes, as I read further down Eileen I saw the bit about mixed ward.  In that case I'd take some pull up jogging bottoms that are loose and comfortable, and a t shirt and top to go with the bottoms.  I think you should get away with either a full slipper (with back in - that's what my lot said to take) or comfortable shoe - I'd go for the slipper because it's easier to get on and more comfortable for the whole day.

• Posted

I'm in the UK, I don't know where you are Eileen.  I took a set of loose clothing in with me but never put them on.  I was in for five nights, I didn't feel like dressing in that time and just kept my nightie and dressing gown on.  When walking in the corridor the physio didn't want shoes on, I took trainers to come home in.🙂

• Posted

I'm going in whiston hospital Liverpool Jane and it's a mixed ward so they said we must get dressed each day and that it's part of the therapy

• Posted

I'd take some very soft baggy jogging bottoms - I'm living in mine even now as they don't rub on my knee and I can soon roll them up if needed. 

• Posted

Hi eileen my name too. I took long teeshirt to sleep in & posher 2 posher from Tk max (£10) for the daytime. They just come above the knee & we're perfect. When I got home I used cut off to knee pyjamas & tee shirt. Good to take a Dressing gown was useful. toiletries & a towel, hair brush. I took my iPhone & iPad as we had a lockable side drawer. You have to take labelled medication if you're on it from doctor. Good luck

Eileen

• Posted

Thank you Eileen just have to be a bit decent as it's a mixed ward might get some knee length shorts

• Posted

Yes good idea, I bought cheap cotton pyjama bottoms from Pimemark & cut them off to the knee. I wasn't in a mixed ward but I guess everybody will be in the same boat that's one thing. Good luck , be good to get it over with , then it's gently recovering.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.