What constitutes 'hip involvement' in AS?

Posted , 2 users are following.

42 yr old male, being investigated for AS and referred to Rheumy, and in the last few weeks my right groin has begun clicking whenever I flex my knee/leg by more than 90 degrees -  it makes a noise but doesn't cause pain necessarily. Do people think this indicates hip involvement in the diesease? (along with the lower back and chest pain).

If this is the case is this noise the sound of my joint being slowly damaged? I've been holding off taking Ibuprofen until really necessary but should I be doing so to reduce inflammation or potential damage?

One caveat - I've generally always had clicky knees/joints so it could be a conincidence and just general wear and tear.

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Obviously AS does effect the hips and everything that comes into contact with the spine. eg ribs, have you had that one yet?

Personally I find Celebrex the best anti inflamatory, been on it for years. Maybe there is something better now but I find most painkillers etc. that I take have unpleasant side effects. They seem to make me sleepy all the time so I cannot drive or they keep me awake at night. A couple of drops of Canabis oil at night helps me and has no side effects.

• Posted

Hi Trevor, thanks for the reply. Yes I do get some pain in the chest. My question really was whether, if there's a click in my hip when I flex beyond 90 degrees, is that indicative of damage happening each time? Should I take Ibuprofen more readily to reduce inflammation, and therefore damage? I'm just wondering whether Ibuprofen would actually help with this.

• Posted

I would certainly ask my doctor for Celebrex as an anti inflammatory.In my experience more effective than Ibuprofen and no side effects. Good luck with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.