What could be the cause

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a L T K R just under a week ago.

I now have soreness on my shin and a redish streak from just below my my knee nearly down to my ankle which is tender .

the inside of my lower leg looks like bruising.

also my inner thigh is sore to touch.

I did go back to the hostpital they ruled out clotting and said it could be water retention or bruising.

I am due for my first physio next Wednesday 4 days away.

I had my R T K R in 2018 and had none of these after effects.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Defender!

Welcome to the bilateral tkr club! I had my left tkr mid October last year and had an amazing recovery! Had my right tkr nearly 7wjs ago and it was quite different from the other one. Like you I had pain in my shin after the first week. I likened it to shin splints that worked its way down to my ankle and for a week I couldn't walk properly or do my exercises as it hurt my ankle too much! I had alot of bruising below the knee this time too. My ankle improved dramatically when I left my Ted sock off for the day which may be coincidence. Had a lot more pain and in different places this time too so don't fret that it's different. My consultant actually warned me before he operated not to expect this one to be the same. Hopefully you'll continue to recover and swiftly!! 🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Posted

Please speak to your Dr again as a red streak could indicate an infection. Ive had my knee and hip done and 6 months after my hip surgery it was swollen with red streaks down my thigh to the back of my knee. It was painful so i had an xray and they said it was fine. on and off for about 4 years i went back with pain and intermittent swelling and was told its normal. 5 years later i was doing yoga and i got stuck in a position that was so painful it knocked me sick. Cut a long story short i finally went to see my surgeon again because this time the pain did not go. Anyway i have a bad infection in my hip which has caused necrosis in my pelvis etc and its only caused during surgery. I was horrified but this also explained my bouts of temperature being hot and cold and vomitting. Days of feeling great then days of really sick which nobody knew why. I am now awaiting surgery with a 50/50 chance of success...i will either walk again or be permanently in a wheelchair so please... any signs that you think and feel something is wrong get it checked out properly with blood, urine, cultures. Demand them if need be.

Please dont panic either just because this happened to me which is very rare does not mean you have an infection but listen to your body and see a doctor. wishing you a speedy recovery and try to work through the pain. Also ice as much as you can.

Big hugs to you xxx

• Posted

Was your hip a JOhnson & JOhnson DePuy? If so, I would reccomend getting to an orthopaedic surgeon that handles revisions, and get it taken out !!!! They have been recalled, lots of law suits, but more importantly, people are getting deathly sick from them.

• Posted

I think you should see a doctor to rule out an infection. There may be a simple answer, but don't take chances with it. I hope it's nothing, but please let us know. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for all the replys

they did check for infection temperature etc.

As my first physio is 4 days away I will talk to them and see what they say as it is Slowing down my exercises.😕

• Posted

Its a big operation brusing is normal think u were lucky last time my leg was black and blue for a while its still swollen 10 week PKR

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.