What could cause issues after Gastroscopy/endoscopy biopsy?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! 

This is one for all the lovely people out there who've had a camera poked down their throat, and a biopsy of their gut/bowel taken. 

Essentially everything went well. I don't remember anything from the procedure aside from the sedation and feeling something in my throat then zzzz. However a few hours after I had stomach cramping (along with the usual side effects from sedation). I was of course informed the side effects could last up to 24 hours.

The stomach pains eased up a bit last night but they've back again all day.

It's now way past 24 hours (about 33 hours) and I'm still a bit off balance, feel a bit shakey/jittery, pains are still happening and I seem to have a temperature and generally feel like 💩 

The feeling generally rubbish part has gotten worse over the duration of the day, so not sure what it could be.

If it's no better I'll head to the doctor or hospital tomorrow, but just curious to know if anyone else has had any complications or issues following their gastroscopy.

Thanks,

Jasmine

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Just to add - I've done a bit of researching but they all don't say much other than the obvious symptoms/side effects 

Although I'm not sure what one would feel if they had a bleed after the biopsy?

• Posted

Hi Jasmine I have had 2 endoscopes with no after effects at all, no pains or cramps, The first without sedation, second with, I certainly haven't had an aches pains or temperature, whilst I dont want to worry you as we are all different so you may react differently, I personally think you should ring the hospital or your GP and ask them rather than wait.  

• Posted

Hello Jasmine,

I had both an endoscopy with biopsies and colonoscopy done at the same time.  Although a bit tired after, I virtually had no issues.  I would believe there would be a phone number you were given along with instructions to follow after your endoscopy;  your symptoms do not sound normal as part of the recuperation process.  I would not wait; rather, I would call to discuss your symptoms especially if you have developed a fever.  There could be an infection taking place for some reason; please call them for peace of mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.