What could this be?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I noticed that on the bottom of my leg there was a round raised area, after a few hours it had gotten bigger and gone red. It wasn't really itchy but it was a little. It just felt hard and swollen. After a few days it got smaller and started to look like this. Then after a couple of days it got darker and looked like this.

Does anyone know what it looks like?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jodiee ~

If you look closely it shows somekind of a bite or something like that.  DId it get hot, too?  I'm not sure but if I had to guess, it may be a mosquito bite or a spider bite.  Are you sensitive to either?  At least it's going down and hopefully you're on the mend.  If not, you may have to get it looked at because a secondary to any bite or cut could lead to cellulitis.

Cellulitis is a common bacterial skin infection. Cellulitis may first appear as a red, swollen area that feels hot and tender to the touch.

Just keep an eye on it and see if it goes away...then you have nothing to worry about.  If it doesnt' and it gives you any of the signs of cellulitis, you will need an antibiotic.

Take care!  Post later and tell how you're doing.

Frustrated

• Posted

Hi

As I said in my reply to chezza12 I think it could be a tick bite as I was in The New Forest not long before the rash appeared. The ticks there can carry lyme disease. I don't think it was cellulitis, I just looked that up and like you said it says that it feels hot and tender. This I didnt feel any discomfort with, If it wasn't on my leg I don't think I'd have even noticed it. It has gone away now but it took a few weeks. I posted on here to see what it could have been as since the rash appeared I've been feeling drained and my muscles are aching, ive been getting occasional headaches and cramps and things feel harder than usual. Its annoying because those things could mean anything, although I'm pretty sure it's connected to the bite.

• Posted

You could be right, it could be a tick bite.  I've seen those and yours wasn't quite like a tick bit but then again, I'm guessing they don't all look the same. Usually, a tick bite has a darker red line around it...yours has somewhat of a darker color. 

Since you're experiencing some symptoms of "lyme disease" you could see a Rheumatologist as they seem to be le to help with any inflammation.

I sure wish you well and hope you get the care you may possibly need.  Don't suffer, take care of it as soon as possible as all it can do is run you down lowering your immune system.

Take care and please post how you're coming along.

Frustrated

• Posted

I have sonething similar to that.  Do you have any pets? That was the first question the doctor asked me and he said straight away it could be ringworm.  Its nothing to do with worms, its some kind of fungus which can be caught from pets.

Mine was red and raised like you said and then looked similar to yours.  He told me to use Canesten cream (over the counter).

Best to see the doctor though.

• Posted

Hi

I had ringworm when I was 13, I had big raised worm shape circles on my back. Its not the same, this wasn't as raised as ring worm, it felt more swollen if anything. I've been to The New Forest in Hampshire lately so i'm suspicious it could be a deer tick bite as I actually saw deer there. It doesn't look exact but I thought it could be a small lyme disease rash as that is a red circle and centre after getting bit by a tick that has the disease. Not only that but after finding this rash i've had the feeling of no energy, general weakness, muscle aches and cramps and not feeling like myself. I have gone to the doctor and he simply said he didn't know what it could be so I told him I suspected lyme disease and i've had my blood tested which came back negative. With most things i'd be satisfied with that result but symptoms seem to be getting worse if anything and i've heard the test for it is inaccurate. I had the rash about a month ago now, I just wanted to see if it could be anything else before I try and get further testing.

• Posted

Ive made an appointment to tell him about my symptoms persisting after the negative blood test results, but my doctor isn't available until next Thursday. 
    • Posted

A Rheumatologist usually can help with lyme disease.  Good luck!
  • Posted

did you ever happen to figure this out? I'd be interested because i think i might have something similar********

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.