What decides how good/poor near vision is after cataract surgery? (Distance IOLs)

Posted , 6 users are following.

So reading glasses are from +1 to +3 in the stores.  What glasses does one get for reading after distance IOLs implant? 

And can this vision get worse as you age just like if hadn't got the cataract surger?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would like to know this as well.  My understanding was IOLs last for a lifetime and do not develop cataracts.  What you can get perhaps are other eye diseases which could impact vision.  Or PCO which can be cleared by a laser procedure (YAG)
    • Posted

Can aging worsen your near vision after cataract surgery or is it already at its worst after the surgery?

Why is it that some people need only +1 and others need+3?

• Posted

Your near vision shouldn't change much if at all a few months after the cataract surgery has healed.

The natural lens prior to cataract surgery gradually gets stiffer and causes the gradual need for higher near vision glasses from age 40 and beyond.  Usually start with +1 or +1.5 reading glasses in your 40s, and move to +2 in 50s, +3 in 60s or 70s.

But after cataract surgery, what type reading glasses you will need depends on what refraction level your eye ends up at after the IOL is implanted. Also depends on the type of IOL, since some premium IOLs can offer some closer range than distance vision (Symfony, multifocals, Crystalens, etc).  But with a monofocal IOL set for good distance vision, probably the stronger reading glasses would be needed +2 to +3 especially for very close up reading and fine print.  For intermediate distance (computer screen, 2-3 feet away) a +1 or so would work.

• Posted

Google Cataract surgery: Will my vision deteriorate after cataract surgery? It says:

"No, your vision generally doesn't deteriorate after cataract surgery unless other problems arise, such as macular degeneration or glaucoma.

In cataract surgery, the eye doctor (ophthalmologist) removes the clouded lens from your eye and replaces it with a clear, artificial lens. This lens is very durable and should last for the rest of your life. Sometimes the capsule that holds the artificial lens becomes cloudy after cataract surgery. This can affect your vision. An eye doctor can use a laser to make the lens capsule clear again.

Most people use glasses, at least some of the time, after cataract surgery. After your eyes have healed from surgery, your doctor may recommend prescription eyeglasses."

So I take that to mean if you don't need glasses right after the surgery, you won't need them later on either.

• Posted

There are 2 parts of defining the day vision after a cataract surgery:

1. The best corrected distance vision with glasses

2. The prescription (spherical and cylinderical corrections) required to achieve the best corrected distance vision.

The prescription for reading glasses is typically +2.25D or +2.50D added to the distance prescription.

There can be lens-dependent night vision issues such as glare, multiple circles or halos, which can be there even if the day vision is good.

• Posted

I wear +2.25D when I need to read my cellphone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.