What did I experience?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Sorry if I post in the wrong section, I'm a noob. :3

So yesterday I got so stressed out that I cut myself...and I do regret it...but now getting on the point, On the night I cut myself, I went to bed trying to forget about what I've done, as I tried to fall as sleep, I had a dream that my friend would react really badly to my cuts, as she told me not to do it. Then, I suddenly started going out of control. I started crying, and then about 5 mins after crying, I was panicking and breathing really fastly and heavily, still crying. And I was shaking a bit too! This continued for about 10 mins before it finally stopped, and I just kept breathing loudly due to what happened. But what was it? Was it some sort of anxiety? Panic Attacks? I'm not sure! sad I've never had that happen to me before!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. It sounds as though you did have a bit of a panic but it could just be because you're so stressed out at the moment.  I presume that you are cutting to release some stress so that, along with the guilt you then felt about cutting, gave you a nightmare.  Your body will find all sorts of way to release the stress and this was just the way it chose.  I know it's easy for me to say but the best thing you can do is try to tackle the reason why you're cutting and finding a better way to channel it.  Hopefully this was just a one off experience.  Hope you feel better biggrin
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I was quite nervous because it never happened to me before. But now I know and I feel better about it. smile
  • Posted

It sounds to me as if you began to hyperventilate.  Its easy enough to do that to yourself with deep or rapid breathing.

Cutting is not an area of expertise for me, but I wonder if you have tried CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) when you feel the urge to cut yourself? The idea behind CBT is that it helps - in the moment - change the way you feel and think and talk to yourself. I'm a big fan.

• Posted

I've never heard of CBT so I couldn't say that that's what forced me into cutting myself. Also I haven't heard of Hyperventilate either, so I'm not sure. ;-;
  • Posted

Hyperventilation is rapid or deep breathing that can occur with anxiety or panic. It is also called overbreathing, and may leave you feeling breathless. You might do a google search to understand more.

CBT isn't something that would have caused your cutting. It is something that might help you prevent cutting yourself. A psychologist can help you learn CBT to manage your stress, or you might try a self-help book such as Dr. David Burns' The Feeling Good Handbook. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.