What did you have to help you with your recovery?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have my surgery for both feet to be done in June, and so far I ordered a slide transfer chair for the tub that swivels like we have in hospital, But I am just curious what everyone else used to make their recovery as comfortable as possible.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm not sure what kind of surgery you are having. I was non-weight bearing after my lapidus bunionectomy, metatarsal shortening & mid-foot fusion. I needed a knee scooter, raised toilet seat, one of those 'grabbers' to pick things up with & even rented a motorized scooter & ramp at one of the doors for a while. But, as I said, I think my surgery was, I think, much more involved than yours. Good luck!
    • Posted

I am thinking that I will need a ramp. My mother has one bc she is wheelchair bound but she is in hospital right now so I may have to borrow hers. Bc they best thing I think will b a wheelchair for me
    • Posted

Hi, can only repeat that a wheelchair will be essential.  I had only one foot done, and despite a relatively quick recovery did not give it up until 8 weeks post-op.  And I only had my right foot done!  It seems to me that hobbling around on crutches just makes life even more miserable than it needs to be.  Keeping off your feet as much as humanly possible will really help you recover.
    • Posted

The medical supply place where I rented the motorized wheelchair also rented me a ramp, which was great!!
  • Posted

Hi

I had a lapidus procedure for a moderate to severe bunion and k wire in the 2nd toe almost 4weeks ago on left foot. Boy you're brave... both feet at same time.!! The transfer bench is great so was the toilet seat that raised the normal seat up 5 inches. I rented a knee scooter and that helps tremendously getting around the house. But with both feet being done, I would guess you would need a wheelchair.

Good luck.

Joanne

• Posted

Hi Joanne! Glad you're doing well!! I didn't have both feet done at the same time, the surgeon said it had to be 3 months in between so I'd be able to stand on one foot. But I didn't have time to rehab the 1st foot before I did the 2nd, so I'm rehabbing both at the same time now & it's torture! I suppose I'll be glad I got both feet over with eventually, but right now I just think I must have been out of my mind!! Oh - and I continued working full-time through it all (I just modified how I did a few things & worked at home more than usual. Good luck

With your continued recovery!

• Posted

I will def consider the high chair toilet seat! Did not think it would b that much of an issue but now that u mention it. Lol I will b have the k wire as well and removed 4 weeks from op date. I know this will b very challenging but I will b happy to get it done and over with. I hope
  • Posted

I only had I foot done. I couldn't take a shower until 3 weeks and the doctor took my bandages off n cut the end of the thread of my stiches. I walk on my heels. But I think the chair will work good for you. You need some one to help you 24 hrs a day for the first 10 days. I had antibodies to take 3 times a day and pain medication every 4 hrs for about 4 days. I had to eat food each time with my meds to stop from being sick to my stomach. My husband made me mostly canned soups. Ginger gle soda really helped. Than keep icing. I had to keep my boot on 24 hrs a day for 3 weeks. In bed with ice and my foot elevated. I hop out of bed to go to the restroom n sometimes I don't put my boot on. This morning felt my ankle hurting I will put my boot on from now on. I walk on my heels. I hope all my swelling goes down. Because my doctor said sometimes swelling could take up to 1 year. I don't want that. Good luck and keep us posted.
    • Posted

Yolanda, I can attest to swelling lasting a long time!! The foot that was operated on 7 months ago is still fairly swollen!! I am about to buy stock in extra wide shoes hahaha!!
    • Posted

I hope the swelling is not too terrible bc I have to return to school a nd work. This will b an adventure.
  • Posted

I had both feet operated on 6 weeks ago.

• A rented wheelchair made me feel much freer around my house for the first 4 weeks before I could walk for a longer distance.

• Having a therapist, friend or family member you can talk to about your emotions is extremely important. If there's no one you feel you can open up to, there are online communities.

It's something I didn't think of, but this is major surgery and can be traumatic. Feeling inconvenient, exhausted, and in pain is very taxing on ones emotional energy.

Mental health is important, because the more you accept and embrace your recovery, the smoother it will be.

• A heat pack helped me from about week 3. I've had my feet done in winter, and because my circulation is bad, my toes & ankles become so cold they're painful & stiff.

Warm feet means better blood flow means better bone healing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.