what diet to follow for lichen sclerosus?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I would like to start to follow and diet which can reduce my current flare up and any future issues with ls but my problem is that I am nearly underweight and I have heard that a lot of these diets make you lose weight.

Does anyone have any suitable suggestions for a diet that will not make you lose any or too much weight?

Thank you.

Also, my gyno refuses to do a biopsy to make sure that it is lichen sclerosus so I self diagnosed it myself sort of. I am also applying betnovate at the moment and I am wondering how long it takes for this to work?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How very sad it is when the doctors cannot recognise LS, or when they do not really know what LS is!!  If I were you I would get a second opinion.  You need to find someone who really knows what they are talking about!  Where do you live?   I was lucky to hear from someone on this forum about a knowledgeable doctor of LS and I have made an appointment to see her.  I can't wait!

Anything with sugar seems to aggravate things for me, not so much fruit though thank goodness.  Even honey gets a bad reaction and I love honey!! Yoghurt, but strangely not milk, although I don't drink more than half a pint daily in tea or coffee!   I have had to stop using sweeteners, but I am not prepared to give up milk!

Are you vegetarian? 

Betnovate is not as strong as dermovate. I used it to begin with but have not switched over and dermovate does the trick for me!

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

I live in London and I am trying to completely cut out sugar and gluten. I'm not sure whether my gyno would give me dermovate instead as he is believes that it isn't ls rolleyes I will continue to use betnovate just incase 
    • Posted

Soso 

Ask your GP to refer you to Dr Wendy Reid at the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead Heath. She is fab - very knowledgeable and open. She will definitely be able to tell you if its LS or not.  You may have to wait a few weeks tho to see her. 

xx

• Posted

For me it was definately the cutting out of sugar and the gluten free diet that made a difference.  For other health issues I already had to omit alcohol and caffeine.  I do eat a good portion of fruit every day, often fresh from the garden.  I do well with berries for instance.  And I eat as much as possible fresh produce. Whatever is in season.

As for dairy productss - I still take a small portion of a good quality yoghurt every day,  but feel sick/nausiated when I drink milk.  Cheese seems to trigger LS.  

It takes careful observation to find out what foods work best for you and what foods to avoid.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.