What DMARDs affect the liver less then others?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just been informed that i still cant start MTX as my liver count is high and after a recent liver scan they believe i have a non-alcoholic fatty liver. I have had several blood tests and one of them is a P3NP test. They have said that if the P3NP results are not favourable they will have to look at other options

Has anyone else come across this test ?

Has anyone else got a high liver count and what DMARD should i be pushing for ?

I am currently taking 15mg Pred daily ( after earlier whinning about this drug my body now loves this medication)

and 15mg meloixcam with pain, sleep, pain, work, pain, sleep, pain, work my current life hoping to move forward with medication soon.

Wrote on a smart phone - sorry

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't have any experience of this first hand. But other DMARDS that are often tried are sulfasalazine, hydroxychloroquine or lefluomide. A quick look on the internet seems to show sulfasalazine as helpful for liver. But don't actually know this!!  

Also, down the line, if those don't work, there are biologics that can work without methotrexate.

Sorry it's taking so long to find something that works for you- hope they try you on something else soon.

• Posted

Hi Rowbirdie,

Picking up on your comment about there being "biologics that can work without methotrexate"... do you know which they are?

I had thought that once on Rituximab I'd be able to come off MTX, but instead they've doubled my dose (from 7.5mg to 15 mg).

I'm seeing my rheumy soon to find out why, but I'd appreciate any information you have on that..

Thanx

• Posted

Hi Light

sorry , I can't remember if you are in the uk?

But here Actemra (tocilizumab)( monthly 1 hour infusion) is very effective monotherapy and also humira and enbrel can be used as monotherapies.( both self injections) I think they maybe always prefer to give with mxt but can be given as monotherapies. I m not sure how that s decided though.

Are you having problems with the methotrexate? Is the rituximab working?

I have 25 mg mxt with rituximab,so your original 7 half mg was a low dose.

• Posted

Thanks, Rowbirdie. So you are on Rituximab too. I get confused with all these posts who's on what!

So I understand you to be saying that RXMB (I just invented that short form!) does require MTX but there are others that don't, including Actemra.  And they're called monotherapies (you live and learn!).

I used actemra five years back and had poor side effects so my rheumy took me off it.

I'll be seeing him this weekend so let's see how he justifies the high (but lower than you) MTX dose. One of the reasons I was so drawn to the biologics in the first place was the notion I could get off MTX. Been too long.....

I'll keep you posted

• Posted

RXMB ! - yes I like it

Let me know how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.