What do do next-

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had a hemi-facial spasm for about 5 years. In this time I tried medication, a chiropractor, and most recently botox. The adjustments helped when I was getting them 2-3 times a week but when i dropped 1 time a week it came back and was no longer practical due to the expense. The botox that I have been getting for the past year has helped but lately I cannot smile and my eye seems to bulge. i canceled my recent appointment and decided to try a cranial message with a massage therapist. It gave me some relief but I am concerned it may also be more of an expense than I can handle If I need it weekly. I have thought of surgery, and from what I have read, it may be worth it though surgery makes me very nervous, and not sure I could get enough time off from my job to recover. I have not tried essential oils. I only take klonopin at night to help me sleep because I did not want to get dependent on it if I took it three times a day. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Roseanne is right...there's no mineral, supplement, chiropractice, reflexology...or other cure. Botox may help "freeze" your face to minimise the tics, but the cure is to fix the physical problem...that of separating/buffering the blood vessel and nerve that's causing the problem in the first place. That requires surgery.  It's a miserable condition, as we that have endured it know. However, if you truly want relief, you should explore the surgical option. Like Roseanne, I had a successful surgical outcome and have my life back after 8 years of progressive misery with this condition. Seriously think about it and start that journey. Best wishes.
    • Posted

Ho Erica Blair. ...I did MVD 5 days back ...but spasm has not fully gone ...in fact it's increasing bit by bit each day ....am I toooo anxious.....life was too bad with twitch and after reading in this forum about MVD I thought that's the only thing my trust towards life can come back ....what's your take on that ....
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that. I was very fortunate in that mine were instantly gone when I came out of surgery. My side effect was a problem with swallowing, which lasted 10 days. Guess something 'upset' a nerve in that area that was responsible for that sort of thing! Roseann shared her experience with you, so hold on to that. I know she's very happy with her calm face these days. So it did settle. Please don't give up hope. Even tho some people don't have 100% success right away, it can get better. Let us know how you go on. Congratulations for having the courage to try the cure... :-)
    • Posted

Thank u soo much for an early and consoling reply ....hope mine goes away shortly....It was affecting my life like he'll. ...This disease is like slow poison to all the confidence &experience u have
    • Posted

hi Erica...dlmy twitching back us increasing day by day after 14 weeks of mvd.....think something wrong drastically...has it ever happened to anyone .....it's sometimes almost like before the surgery ..Pl reply even if it is not positive .....what shld b next course of action .......

I hate twitching

• Posted

Ask about high csf pressure and its relation to hfs. I got a spinal tap (lumbar puncture) to test my pressure, It was high and I was prescribed diamox (acetazolamide) and the full contractions of the left side of my face have stopped. It has only been 2 weeks So not sure if this is a cure but it has helped so far.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.