what do i do

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had ect three years ago and have had memory problems ,anger, tired all the time, no interest in things, I just contacted a lawyer to see about taking legal action, but would like to get help with my issues where do i start or go my doctor has thrown up his hands he is does not know what to do with me.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

dear sir/madam,

sorry to hear about your problems with ect,unfortunately, as you have probably been told,most people react favourably with this treatment.

I,myself had 8 sessions, why i insisted on, as all medications did not work for me,and i was hospitalised for a few months.

can't say i have had any side effects,but i would say alot of medication messes with normal things.

probably hasn't helped you much,but i do help it gets better in time.

Best wishes,regards,Richard

• Posted

Hi colt - first is to get another doctor who will assess you. It would be better for you not to get the current doc offside because his records will be required by the new doc to determine what the situation was pre ect. The road ahead of you, however is steep and treacherous. You have to prove a diminishing of capability and that it was caused by the treatment. Legal avenues are extremely expensive. You will be up against a well-moneyed

system that has resources not available to you. If you cannot afford this, are there any avenues - like legal aid - to assist you. If not, you will have to scout for a lawyer who will take the case no-win-no-pay or pro-bono. Given the difficulty of proof, that may be impossible. Have you kept any records/journals or have you an independent person/body (like a psychologist) who can vouch for the negative effects of your treatment?

As some-one who has fought for all sorts of rights in my life I have to alert you to the fact that the process of realising justice is a brutal and confronting road. The likelihood is that you would lose. the effects on your mental health will be detrimental. However, if you are determined to pursue this avenue, keep notes on it, maintain a doctor/patient connection with a professional you are comfortable with, and expect to be disappointed. Good luck whatever you decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.